Midweek rant: The Right to Rant – it’s not bashing Thailand to criticize

webfact

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

Perhaps those are the ones who should pack up and leave? If you're not happy with anything about a place then maybe you are in the wrong place?

As for the the majority of us who either live in Thailand or visit it on a regular basis, there are many things wrong with Thailand and there are many things right with Thailand  IMO! 

There are also many things wrong with UK/USA/Europe/Scandinavia just as there are many things right with UK/USA/Europe/Scandinavia. One chooses one's location based on the balance that suits one and accepts the bad with the good,

One of the sayings we had when I worked in Saudi was "Life here is like a set of weighing scales - on one side is a bucket of gold, on the other is a bucket of sh*t. When the bucket of sh*t" gets heavier than the bucket of gold, catch the bird!"

I love Thailand for up to 6 months at a time, then certain things start to irritate me...so I return to UK, where after 6 months certain (different) things start to irritate me, so then......rinse and repeat as necessary.

Two small examples, amongst literally hundreds:

One of the things I dislike in Thailand is that I cannot rant against and criticise certain people and things - in UK I can say what I like about any institution as long as I don't encourage violence.

Whereas, one of the things I dislike in UK is that I cannot go to a bank and change money without having an account - in Thailand I can march into a money exchange with minimal ID and job done.

The place where we will all like everything about it, is called Utopia - anyone found it?

Oh, I seem to have had a rant of my own....... :whistling: Good Day, all

I can remember in the UK when food on the table was a problem....:sad:

It wasn't that long ago.....

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Thian said:

Mate if you don't like it here you know where Swampy is now don't you?

I hate that line...

I think you missed the point. He doesn't like the farangs who say things like you just did. Nothing to do with him leaving or wanting to leave.

However, I think a lot of the Thai-apologists have buried themselves here and do not have the wherewithal to leave when they want to. So, they don't want to hear or refuse to consider the complaints whether legitimate or not.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

She pays local prices, does not get extorted or overcharged, uses our great health care system, does not have visa problems, does not report to police, does not get attacked by soi dogs, tries different ethnic foods, meets people from different cultures.

...and where is that paradise???

1 hour ago, amvet said:

I support children whose parents died of HIV.  I adopt and neuter soi dogs.  I do the laundry and take out the trash. 

I support children whose parents died of HIV = I appreciate this. It's human's duty

I adopt and neuter soi dogs = I appreciate this if you either sell them to Vietnam or sterilize them

I do the laundry and take out the trash.  = not worth to mention.

So at the end you are idle and don't do anything to change anything in this country. = I don't appreciate this.

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

I support children whose parents died of HIV = I appreciate this. It's human's duty

I adopt and neuter soi dogs = I appreciate this if you either sell them to Vietnam or sterilize them

I do the laundry and take out the trash.  = not worth to mention.

So at the end you are idle and don't do anything to change anything in this country. = I don't appreciate this.

I reckon you are going to now tell us what you do to change stuff here...?

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Sounds like England...:smile:

Strangely enough, it does!

And whilst risking going :offtopic: one of the things I dislike about UK is that our ever-diminishing health resources are being given away to outsiders free whilst native Brits are waiting.

Of course after BREXIT  that and some of the other items  @oldhippy mentioned may not apply - hopefully!

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

...and where is that paradise???

I am talking about Belgium.

What makes you think that I think it is paradise?

Is it paradise to you if >>>>> She pays local prices, does not get extorted or overcharged, uses our great health care system, does not have visa problems, does not report to police, does not get attacked by soi dogs, tries different ethnic foods, meets people from different cultures<<<<<?

Belgium is not paradise, but some elementary things are the way they should be.

Oh yes, of course it is paradise for lovers of real beer.

Just now, oldhippy said:

Is it paradise to you if >>>>> She pays local prices, does not get extorted or overcharged, uses our great health care system, does not have visa problems, does not report to police, does not get attacked by soi dogs, tries different ethnic foods, meets people from different cultures<<<<<?

Very much like UK  - :burp:   but do please see my comments above about the healthcare

Of course after BREXIT  that and some of the other items  @oldhippy mentioned may not apply - hopefully!

Just now, VBF said:

Very much like UK  - :burp:   but do please see my comments above about the healthcare

I understand what you say about healthcare.

Actually, my country should DEMAND that Thailand should treat me as a Thai, just like Belgium treats my wife as a Belgian.

But you also said: >>>> Of course after BREXIT  that and some of the other items  @oldhippy mentioned may not apply - hopefully! <<<<

Which other items do you consider to be over the top?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I reckon you are going to now tell us what you do to change stuff here...?

No, actually I don't want start bragging. English, Math, Science lessons for orphans, Invite

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

8 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

you are right. It is a beautiful EU country with lovely Krik

12 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I understand what you say about healthcare.

Actually, my country should DEMAND that Thailand should treat me as a Thai, just like Belgium treats my wife as a Belgian.

But you also said: >>>> Of course after BREXIT  that and some of the other items  @oldhippy mentioned may not apply - hopefully! <<<<

Which other items do you consider to be over the top?

Well after BREXIT, I think there may be a few (even more!) Visa issues for foreign nationals travelling to UK, BUT I fervently hope that people like you and your missus are treated fairly if you do decide to travel here!

Unfortunately, in restricting the undesirables (sic) there may be other people caught up. You and I may find it harder to visit each other's countries, but at present, the Muppets (sorry, politicians!) on both sides are arguing that over as we know!!

I believe Belgium is in Schengen(?) so your lives should remain untroubled.

Before i get flamed, I am aware that Thai people and their sponsors (even when married) have a world of problems getting to UK - possibly one of the issues about UK that I dislike!

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Come to Belgium and have a real guinness - 8%!

https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-beers/guinness-antwerpen/

:sorry:

From where it says......."And although light and creamy in texture, it’s still unmistakably part of the Guinness family."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........further investigation required methinks!

47 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I think you missed the point. He doesn't like the farangs who say things like you just did. Nothing to do with him leaving or wanting to leave.

However, I think a lot of the Thai-apologists have buried themselves here and do not have the wherewithal to leave when they want to. So, they don't want to hear or refuse to consider the complaints whether legitimate or not.

I noticed that especially the farangs who live upcountry in small villages can't stand any comments on Thailand at all. Maybe they will have to explain what's written on TV to their villagemembers?

I know it's not done to complaint about anything in Thailand but that's why nothing ever gets improved here. So it's time to wake-up and learn from the countries who do develop and improve.

It's also weird how the Thai are not interested at all in their own country. Take those 100 new buses for example, i bet most Thai even don't know anything about them. And the rest of them don't care at all that those things are rotting away somewhere. They have fear to even speak about scandals like that.

That's why it's good when farang give their criticism, i hope the Thai will wake up and stop accepting that bs.

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

From where it says......."And although light and creamy in texture, it’s still unmistakably part of the Guinness family."

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........further investigation required methinks!

It is brewed in Ireland of course.... but specially for the Belgian market.

4 minutes ago, Thian said:

I noticed that especially the farangs who live upcountry in small villages can't stand any comments on Thailand at all. Maybe they will have to explain what's written on TV to their villagemembers?

I know it's not done to complaint about anything in Thailand but that's why nothing ever gets improved here. So it's time to wake-up and learn from the countries who do develop and improve.

It's also weird how the Thai are not interested at all in their own country. Take those 100 new buses for example, i bet most Thai even don't know anything about them. And the rest of them don't care at all that those things are rotting away somewhere. They have fear to even speak about scandals like that.

That's why it's good when farang give their criticism, i hope the Thai will wake up and stop accepting that bs.

@Thian I agree with you but it's been the Thai way for so long that it's going to take a lot of effort to overcome it. Add to that an educational system that adheres to the old ways of doing things, plus the inbuilt Asian attitude to "face" and then consider that there may well be people who may benefit from keeping the majority of the populace in the dark.

8 hours ago, maewang99 said:

the sounds of 6AM and earlier.... pervasive ones...

chickens and other birds
clacking sounds of mortar and pestle (not a complaint)
empty stomach vomiting sounds (not a complaint)

but that last one is a sign of something. I believe. 

is that a rant?

I really do not know if  it's a rant or not, but it just sounds like incomprehensible rubbish to me.

Better to be polite in a country other than your own. Sadly the quality of western tourists visiting Thailand has declined in the last 30 years and with that decline coarse ranting has become part of the scene. Cheap flights to blame.

Archived