Sharp rise in the number of Brits dying in Thailand, according to official stats

webfact

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine that if they looked at how many Brits there are in Thailand , timesed that by the population of people living in the UK and compared the death rates to Brits dying in Thailand and Brits dying in the UK .

There would probably be less chance of Brits dying in Thailand, than in the UK

28 minutes ago, todlad said:

Whoever put those tables together needs his nuts crushing. Must have failed their sums exams at about seven years old and never got over it.

Absolutely. Clearly the work of the office junior with no review by anyone with any semblance of critical review abilities.The 2016 figures for the over 50's make no sense at all on a year to year comparison basis.

Seems that, based on the 14no noted as 'Death - Missing' in 2016, Thailand the new Bermuda Triangle for over 50's Brits?:shock1:  

My guess is that alot of the unknown deaths have to do with the utter and complete lack of effective law enforcement here, combined with the complete lack of traffic safety being practiced by the incompetent men in brown. Remember, the statistics that are compiled by the government do not include people seriously injured in motor vehicle accidents, who later die, but do not die at the scene of the accident. In addition to that you add in the complete lack of concern for public safety, on the part of the administration, and the fabulously low quality of the forensic work here, and you have a volatile mix. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The British Embassy doesn't do forensics and postmortems maybe?

The 'official inquiry' is a coroners enquiry after the body has been returned to the UK. If the body is interred or cremated locally, that's it.

A coroner will usually hold an inquest in England or Wales if the cause of death is unknown or if it was sudden, violent or unnatural.

I am more concerned about the significant jump in natural deaths for the over 50's. I am well into that demographic and already do a Risk Assessment before taking a dump.

I expect that only the Thai police have authority to investigate cause of death. Foreign nations have no authority to do so in Thailand. Same applies to domestic autopsy if the RTP ordered one or the Foreign Ministry agrees to let a foreign country conduct one; however, the foreign authority may have to agree to limit what information it can release to the public, especially if the results have the potential to damage the Thai national reputation.

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The murder rate of Brits in Thailand compared to the UK is eight times higher. 

That stat is from the UK FCO. 

Given that there were 4 murders of Brits recorded in the 3 years, that doesn't seem to be something to worry the 900,000 or so Brits that risk coming to Thailand each year.

Don't get me wrong, I suspect the number of murders in Thailand is higher, but they can't report 1.33 murders (of Brits) a year and also claim that the rate is 8x as high as "back home".  That 1.3 per year isn't even a statistically valid sample size.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/363684/141013_British_Behaviour_Abroad_report_2014.pdf

29 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The murder rate of Brits in Thailand compared to the UK is eight times higher. 

That stat is from the UK FCO. 

Could you give a breakdown of those figures ?

Brits in Thailand

Brits in the UK

And the deaths in each Country ?

Expect more jumpers when BREXIT really starts to bite. A lot of older Brits seem to die of boredom, alcoholism, and obesity related diseases exacerbated by the heat.  The 'It's too hot to exercise, or well.......do anything useful really' syndrome. 

As for the sharp rise in British deaths, it probably reflects that, like me, too many people are seriously sick of government BS, government ineptitude and - more than ever - the dismal prospects of becoming a respected nation again, next year or whenever Prayut feels it is safe for him to shuffle the deck. Theresa and Boris will be dissuading folk from coming here, next!

19 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Expect more jumpers when BREXIT really starts to bite. A lot of older Brits seem to die of boredom, alcoholism, and obesity related diseases exacerbated by the heat.  The 'It's too hot to exercise, or well.......do anything useful really' syndrome. 

I doubt Brexit will have much more impact. Boredom? Alcoholism? Obesity-related diseases? Exercise excuses? Speak for yourself.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This has been the case for 20+ years now.

Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons. It is now the most dangerous tourism destination for Aussies and Swedes too.

According to the foreign office the most dangerous tourism destinations for British are Afghanistan, Bukina Faso, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger.  Thailand is not even in the top 15.

10 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

I doubt Brexit will have much more impact. Boredom? Alcoholism? Obesity-related diseases? Exercise excuses? Speak for yourself.

Why cant he speak of his observations? They are hardly unusual observations, there are lazy fat heavy drinking expats all over Thailand, more so than not I would say.

4 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Why is there so many unknown ?

...the Coroner would make an 'open finding' and so call it 'cause of death unknown' which is grouping all those deaths as a result of 'natural causes' plus those deaths where not enough evidence has been supplied for make a definite finding.

Any inquest can be re-opened at a later date when relevant evidence is produced.

This is the job of the RTP to gather that evidence.

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Should be an interesting thread.................... Popcorn ordered ! :thumbsup:

I got a bucket of beer..come on over..

Just curious.. any idea of the percentage of Brits here compared to other foreigners..

5 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Why is there so many unknown ?

You would think that the FCO at least knows the age of the British nationals. How would they otherwise know that they are British?

Strangely, with foreigner deaths often classified as 'suicide' by Thai police; I don't see many suicides here.

Archived