BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Sharp rise in the number of Brits dying in Thailand, according to official stats

6 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

This has been the case for 20+ years now.

Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons. It is now the most dangerous tourism destination for Aussies and Swedes too.

Yup <deleted> getting wacked

Well, I notice that most of the murder/manslaughter is in the 50+ group. Would like to have that broken down into expats and tourists.

Off topic posts and replies about passport renewals have been removed. 

The first question I would ask is, what value of life do Thais have for Thais and also foreigners alike?

Secondly from my own observations, there seems to be a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners residing now in Thailand on a permanent basis.
So in the event that is correct, then these statistics are even more worrisome.

The deaths in hospitals could be attributed to the presentation of the bill.

I would also call into questions whether or not these statistics really include all deaths.
Recording, registering, and notifying all the relevant Embassies would over a year produce a considerable amount of paper work, and where's the earner in that?

It would be interesting to hear if the equivalent of our Funeral Directors/Funeral Parlours at the Temples, are under any kind of obligation to notify the authorities of farang cremations.
Rarely heard of anyone being buried here.

3 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

More folk die before the age of 75 than over . So if you get to 76 things are looking up for you.

i.e. you then officially become a C.D. (coffin dodger)

On another part of the Gov.UK website, there is a 32 page Guide and Summary of what the British Government can, and cannot do for its citizens abroad.  It makes interesting reading.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/support-for-british-nationals-abroad-a-guide

A whole host of other useful documents can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/helping-british-people-overseas-travelling-and-living-abroad

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You would think that the FCO at least knows the age of the British nationals. How would they otherwise know that they are British?

Strangely, with foreigner deaths often classified as 'suicide' by Thai police; I don't see many suicides here.

Its only about one a week of foreigners in total, it is just always considered newsworthy by the English language news so it starts feeling like a lot as there is always one being talked about.

25 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

The first question I would ask is, what value of life do Thais have for Thais and also foreigners alike?

Secondly from my own observations, there seems to be a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners residing now in Thailand on a permanent basis.

I would also call into questions whether or not these statistics really include all deaths.
Recording, registering, and notifying all the relevant Embassies would over a year produce a considerable amount of paper work, and where's the earner in that?

It would be interesting to hear if the equivalent of our Funeral Directors/Funeral Parlours at the Temples, are under any kind of obligation to notify the authorities of farang cremations.

The temple can't cremate someone without a death certificate, the police must be notified within 24 hours of death and if it is a foreigner then they must have a response from their embassy before the death certificate can be issued.

27 minutes ago, up2you2 said:

And there are loads of cemeteries in Thailand, have you never noticed the half moon shaped decorated walls that point toward Mecca?

This has been the case for 20+ years now.

Thailand is the most dangerous tourism destination for Britons. It is now the most dangerous tourism destination for Aussies and Swedes too.

.. yes, but why?

8 hours ago, les Dennis said:

Why is there so many unknown ?

because of tourism name, it as anything else  and they stop coming

Just now, johnarth said:

because of tourism name, it as anything else  and they stop coming

Can only be a positive note.