Long term business visa for Vietnam - implications

GeKoSc

I have been offered a 1-year business visa by a private visa business (visa stamped on arrival) without the need of a business letter signed by an actual vietnamese business.

What are the implications and my possible obligationes having a business visa but without owning a business in Vietnam neither is working there. Do I have to pay taxes in country without actual working there?

Anyone out there who has been or is living in Vietnam with a business visa (without working there) and may be able to provide his observations and suggestions? 

I am not sure the reason you decided to opt for a business visa when one can easily live there with tourist visas but I suggest you look for ho chi minh expats group on Facebook and ask this question there.

I was going to apply for a business visa but when I found out I could just do visa runs every 3 months for a lot less so I went w this option.

The business visa allows you to stay for 1 yr. You don't have a work permit so I doubt you would need to pay any kind of taxes.

I got the one year multiple entry/exit Tourist Visa - every time I come in they stamp my is for three months, but never stay that long - get it at Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok  $140.00 USD.

Vietnam has some strange tax laws, there was a time you had to declare money in foreign banks and salaries from overseas - they would tax you on money you didn;t even have in Vietnam  - if you are not actually planning to start a business, I would opt for the one year ME Visa.

I believe that if yer known to be working in VN with a residence card then you're liable for tax...in 2006 I paid no tax but in 2010 my colleagues were whacked for 25% of a false, reduced amount (not actual salary) that was reported by our european employer (I had the forethought of writing into my contract of employment that the employer is liable for any local tax)...there were no ME one year visas back then and tax liability for foreigners working in VN may be different now...

On 19/8/2017 at 0:02 PM, 3421abc said:

I am not sure the reason you decided to opt for a business visa when one can easily live there with tourist visas but I suggest you look for ho chi minh expats group on Facebook and ask this question there.

I was going to apply for a business visa but when I found out I could just do visa runs every 3 months for a lot less so I went w this option.

The business visa allows you to stay for 1 yr. You don't have a work permit so I doubt you would need to pay any kind of taxes.

With the 1 year business visa I have not to leave the country and the cost will be USD 400 (280+120)  including all for one year.

Would´t it be cheaper than to purchase a turist visa and leave the country for 1 month every 3 or 6 months...?

On 19/8/2017 at 6:23 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

I got the one year multiple entry/exit Tourist Visa - every time I come in they stamp my is for three months, but never stay that long - get it at Vietnamese Embassy in Bangkok  $140.00 USD.

Vietnam has some strange tax laws, there was a time you had to declare money in foreign banks and salaries from overseas - they would tax you on money you didn;t even have in Vietnam  - if you are not actually planning to start a business, I would opt for the one year ME Visa.

With the 1 year ME visa they stamp the visa every 3 months at immigration paying 10 USD?  No need to leave the country during 1 year, right?

11 hours ago, GeKoSc said:

With the 1 year ME visa they stamp the visa every 3 months at immigration paying 10 USD?  No need to leave the country during 1 year, right?

I have not stayed the full 3 months yet, so don't know, all I know is it is cheaper in the long run than doing in/outs - I work 6 months a year, so will test it next spring/summer.  They stamp me in and write "Permitted to stay until (date-3 months later) is all I know.  as for extensions, don;t know how mych that will cost, but will extend it next August.

On 8/19/2017 at 6:23 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

You must be American, yes? That one-year Tourist visa is only available to Americans through a reciprocity deal. I know for a fact, the VN embassy in Bangkok won't give me a one-year Tourist visa (I'm Cdn). Only a business visa works for the rest of us. No reporting, nothing to do. Mine's a 6-month multi entry. Paid a total of $290US.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

22 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

You must be American, yes? That one-year Tourist visa is only available to Americans through a reciprocity deal. I know for a fact, the VN embassy in Bangkok won't give me a one-year Tourist visa (I'm Cdn). Only a business visa works for the rest of us. No reporting, nothing to do. Mine's a 6-month multi entry. Paid a total of $290US.

yeah, those 1 year tourist visas are a good deal for us yanks, also available online...

however, if ye wanna work or engage in any sort of commercial activity your status would change so best to investigate the requirements if that is yer intention...there are various VN expat forums that one can look at, etc...

also remember that for various countries (western Europe included, ie., UK, etc) no visa is required for a visit of less than 30 days...check official VN immigration website for advice...I met my son who carries a UK passport in Hanoi in July and he had no visa...I can get a 1 year tourist visa but he can't but with a US passport I need a visa for a less than 30 day visit...gurgle, gurgle...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

• 3 months later...
On 19/8/2017 at 12:02 PM, 3421abc said:

The visa run you did have to be done through an air port or a bus will do? How many times did you do the visa run?