Tests underway as Sattahip to Koh Chang ferry expected to begin "September or October"

webfact

Tests underway as Sattahip to Koh Chang ferry expected to begin "September or October"

6.jpg

Picture: Daily News

SATTAHIP: -- The harbor authority said that tests on the proposed Sattahip to Koh Chang ferry will begin from this Saturday.

The service will run from the Juk Samet port to Bang Bao on the holiday island.

And in other developments it has been revealed that work on the port in Pranburi will include the capability to allow vehicles to be loaded.

The Sattahip - Koh Chang service is scheduled to start sometime in September or October ready for the high tourist season, said Sornsak Saensombat.

The tests will concentrate on safety, communications equipment, water depths and upgrade of port facilities.

The number of services per day and the cost is yet to be finalized.

Sornsak said that the current service from Pattaya to Hua Hin is running at 40 to 50% of capacity with about 100 people taking each trip.

He said that design work is underway for the port in Pak Nam Pranburi and the port is expected to be completed within a year. It will have the capability to deal with both passengers and their vehicles, he said.

He said that when completed services are expected to run between attahip and Pranburi as well as Sattahip and Khao Takiap, nearer Hua Hun.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-18

Im trying very hard but completely failing to see the point of this. Maybe someone can help me understand?

The existing car ferry from the mainland to Ko Chang is 5km and takes 30-40 minutes.

Sattahip to Ko Chang is close to 200km. Calculate about 26 hours using the same boats. Even if they find a new car ferry that goes twice the speed, it's still going to take 12+ hours to get there! Not to mention the trip to Sattahip from wherever these people are coming from.

So it clearly it doesn't make any sense for a car ferry when you can make the direct drive in about 3 hours.

How about a passenger speedboat? Still going to take many hours to get there. Pattaya to Hua Hin is half the distance and takes how long? Double that distance and surely it's going to be quicker to use the roads and the existing ferry.

Pattaya-Huahin is a reasonable idea because it's an obvious short cut. What's the idea here?

Let's assume it's aimed at a small group that either don't have a car or don't wish to use the roads (can't blame them) But even then the question is who on earth lives in Sattahip? It's the most isolated place on the whole eastern seaboard. Where are all these pedestrians supposed to come from? How are they going to get to Sattahip and why would they go so far out of their way? They're going to have to use the roads one way or another so why not just drive direct?

I would love to see a copy of the business plan, assuming they even have one. 

2 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

Im trying very hard but completely failing to see the point of this. Maybe someone can help me understand?

The existing car ferry from the mainland to Ko Chang is 5km and takes 30-40 minutes.

Sattahip to Ko Chang is close to 200km. Calculate about 26 hours using the same boats. Even if they find a new car ferry that goes twice the speed, it's still going to take 12+ hours to get there! Not to mention the trip to Sattahip from wherever these people are coming from.

So it clearly it doesn't make any sense for a car ferry when you can make the direct drive in about 3 hours.

How about a passenger speedboat? Still going to take many hours to get there. Pattaya to Hua Hin is half the distance and takes how long? Double that distance and surely it's going to be quicker to use the roads and the existing ferry.

Pattaya-Huahin is a reasonable idea because it's an obvious short cut. What's the idea here?

Let's assume it's aimed at a small group that either don't have a car or don't wish to use the roads (can't blame them) But even then the question is who on earth lives in Sattahip? It's the most isolated place on the whole eastern seaboard. Where are all these pedestrians supposed to come from? How are they going to get to Sattahip and why would they go so far out of their way? They're going to have to use the roads one way or another so why not just drive direct?

if you fail to see how the ferry can make the trip at this speed and time then you need to go back to school

look at the hau hin ferry and you will see that it actually gets there in 2 hrs flat, i know ive done the journey 3 times allready 

good service and long awaited

no more death defying mini bus rides

1 hour ago, pumpjack said:

look at the hau hin ferry and you will see that it actually gets there in 2 hrs flat, i know ive done the journey 3 times allready 

Yes thank you, actually I was looking at the HuaHin ferry. You may have noticed I mentioned it a couple of times in my post? Did you see that part where I wrote 'Pattaya-Huahin is a reasonable idea because it's an obvious short cut.' ?

You're right the ferry is a good alternative to risking your life in the deathvans. And I was saying this is epecially right in the case of the Pattaya-HH ferry because it's such a good short cut, taking only 2 hours compared to 6 hours on the road. 

But the Sattahip-K.C. ferry doesn't have the same comparison at all. In fact it would almost certainly take longer than the current method.

I think the idea is nice but in reality you're still going to need to get from wherever you are to the port in Sattahip, presumably via deathvan right??, make sure you get there at the right time of day, stand around waiting, dick about with boarding etc wait for everyone and then be prepared to cross the sea for erm... well you say Pattaya-Huahin is 2 hours, this is double the distance so 4 hours easy and hope it's not too full of people and hope the sea isn't choppy and you don't have people puking all round you.

I think most would just choose to extend the road portion by a couple of hours, get there quicker and skip all that hassle thank you very much ?

8 minutes ago, eeyang wah said:

Yes thank you, actually I was looking at the HuaHin ferry. You may have noticed I mentioned it a couple of times in my post? Did you see that part where I wrote 'Pattaya-Huahin is a reasonable idea because it's an obvious short cut.' ?

You're right the ferry is a good alternative to risking your life in the deathvans. And I was saying this is epecially right in the case of the Pattaya-HH ferry because it's such a good short cut, taking only 2 hours compared to 6 hours on the road. 

But the Sattahip-K.C. ferry doesn't have the same comparison at all. In fact it would almost certainly take longer than the current method.

I think the idea is nice but in reality you're still going to need to get from wherever you are to the port in Sattahip, presumably via deathvan right??, make sure you get there at the right time of day, stand around waiting, dick about with boarding etc wait for everyone and then be prepared to cross the sea for erm... well you say Pattaya-Huahin is 2 hours, this is double the distance so 4 hours easy and hope it's not too full of people and hope the sea isn't choppy and you don't have people puking all round you.

I think most would just choose to extend the road portion by a couple of hours, get there quicker and skip all that hassle thank you very much ?

Luckily not everybody "think" the way you do, or we would still live as in 1920...

Whatever ! 4 or 5 hours on a boat to Koh chang is better than 4 or 5 hours on the roads !

Any other idea is plain stupid.

7 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

If only tourists could get their car on the plane to BKK as checked baggage.  And Thais on scooters could afford one.

I can make the direct drive, you can, but we're probably not their target demographic.  It's the people who don't own a car, and value their life too much to take a kamikaze van or ride in the back of their friends' pickup truck.

And eventually I hope they offer refreshments for sale and perhaps entertainment enroute to supplement the fare and make the hours go by faster.  Hopefully, someday we'll be reading stories here by old timers remembering when they actually made that drive before the ferry was running...

13 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

Sattahip just happens to be right next door to Pattaya International Airport or Utapao Airport as it is / was more commonly known ..I can see many people seeing the attraction of flying into Utapao and transfering to the ferry to Koh Chang 

16 hours ago, eeyang wah said:

after you finish the 3 hour car trip, you have to make sure you get there at the right time of day, stand around waiting, dick about with boarding etc wait for everyone

On 18/08/2017 at 3:20 PM, webfact said:

The harbor authority said that tests on the proposed Sattahip to Koh Chang ferry will begin from this Saturday.

What does "testing a ferry" entail?

Failure is sinking. Anything else presumably counts as success.

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

What does "testing a ferry" entail?

Failure is sinking. Anything else presumably counts as success.

From the original article:-

"The tests will concentrate on safety, communications equipment, water depths and upgrade of port facilities. "

Seems reasonable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2017 at 3:02 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

From the original article:-

"The tests will concentrate on safety, communications equipment, water depths and upgrade of port facilities. "

Seems reasonable.

SURELY WATER DEPTHS WOULD/SHOULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN EVEN BEFORE THINKING ABOUT A FERRY SERVICE...if the water is not deep enough then NO FERRY ....simple...!!

On 19/08/2017 at 3:20 PM, eeyang wah said:

Did he say "dick about with boarding" ? Pls explain. Not a native English speaker ?

3 hours ago, Ridge said:

Did he say "dick about with boarding" ? Pls explain. Not a native English speaker ?

"dick about" (British, idiomatic) = to waste time on an unproductive activity. Similar terms 'mess around" and "faff about". Source: Wiktionary.

I think most would just choose to extend the road portion by a couple of hours, get there quicker and skip all that hassle thank you very much [emoji4]

Since when did it take 6hrs by Car.?. If i want to go there i get up early and am there in 4 hrs.No waiting , no pukers,or being dumped where no one wants to be. Nor would i drive to Shatterd Hip either.!.?[emoji247]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived