Transfer Stamps from old passport to new one

Go yesterday to SAMUI immigration to make the transfer from my old passport to the new one i just received.
Prepares copy of old pages first, fullfilled a form, gave the package to the "nice" lady who the ask me in french :

Her : cinq cent,
Me : Sorry ?

Her : cinq cent.
Me : Sorry, i really dont know what you are saying.

Her : five hundreds bahts
Me ; ohhhhhh, ok, i thought it was free !

Her : No.
Pay and come back in 3 hours and gave me ticket number "555"
I get it 2 hours later, after going to lunch in Bophut.

SAMUI IMM is allways full of surprise, when they cannot charge you in one place they find another one.

So for those who are gonna say, you should not have pay, you should have do this and that, dont need to waist your time, i have to go there again next month to renew my 1 year extension and i dont want to have any problems with them.

2017-08-16 13.44.37.jpg

Not a money grab – c'mon, it small money for us aliens. The 500 baht fee for transferring of Visa stamp from an old passport to a new, is a standard fee also that is charged in other immigrations (judge from various posting in ThaiVisa forums). A fair enough fee, they spend time doing the transfers; and you also pay – think it's also 500 baht, or is it 200 baht..? – to have a letter with proof af address needed for, for example Land Transport department...:smile:

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Not a money grab – c'mon, it small money for us aliens. The 500 baht fee for transferring of Visa stamp from an old passport to a new, is a standard fee also that is charged in other immigrations (judge from various posting in ThaiVisa forums). A fair enough fee, they spend time doing the transfers; and you also pay – think it's also 500 baht, or is it 200 baht..? – to have a letter with proof af address needed for, for example Land Transport department...:smile:

Absolute nonsense.....it is a corrupt money grab; it does not appear on their price list of service and they will not give a receipt.

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Complete rubbish!

There is no fee for this. Other offices do not charge.

Most immigration officers enjoy a comfortable middle class Thai lifestyle.

42 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Absolute nonsense.....it is a corrupt money grab; it does not appear on their price list of service and they will not give a receipt.

»I had my Extension of Stay based on retirement transferred to my new (UK) passport in Hua Hin Immigration last November. Provided copies of my new passport ID page, original O-A Visa and Extension of Stays from my old passport and letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok (they emailed it and I added details, date etc. and printed it off). Took about 20 minutes and Immigration Officer charged me 500 baht, no receipt.«

41 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Complete rubbish!

There is no fee for this. Other offices do not charge.

Most immigration officers enjoy a comfortable middle class Thai lifestyle.

Try to search for Hua Hin »...Happened to me a little while ago and at the time the Embassy letter was free and Imm charged about 500 THB to do the transfers. Those stamps took up 2.5 pages of the new passport...« – I'm probably not allowed to link a source, as it's from another forum...

:smile:
C'mon, 500 baht is small money – even for a Cheap Charlie – and a reasonable fee for several different rubber stamps, you pay 1,000 baht for a single re-entry stamp only...

20 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Try to search for Hua Hin »...Happened to me a little while ago and at the time the Embassy letter was free and Imm charged about 500 THB to do the transfers. Those stamps took up 2.5 pages of the new passport...« – I'm probably not allowed to link a source, as it's from another forum...

C'mon, 500 baht is small money – even for a Cheap Charlie – and a reasonable fee for several different rubber stamps, you pay 1,000 baht for a single re-entry stamp only...

It might be a reasonable 'fee' if it was part of the tariff and a receipt issued (as you get with the 1,900 Baht extension fee) ........

... it isn't, you don't, so it is corruption.....end of.

24 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

It might be a reasonable 'fee' if it was part of the tariff and a receipt issued (as you get with the 1,900 Baht extension fee) ........

... it isn't, you don't, so it is corruption.....end of.

You are correct by the letter of the law.

But, let me ask a question...

Ever leave a tip to a waiter or waitress in a restaurant?

Not everything is written down...

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

You are correct by the letter of the law.

But, let me ask a question...

Ever leave a tip to a waiter or waitress in a restaurant?

Not everything is written down...

You will ill find in Thailand it often is....... "++"

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue in paying for a published service where the money goes into the appropriate public funds. I do have an issue where greedy b4stards corruptly take money for their own coffers .

You do understand the concept of corruption versus tipping, don't you? If you wish to use that analogy you need to note that tipping is voluntary...... the corrupt payment is not!

33 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You will ill find in Thailand it often is....... "++"

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue in paying for a published service where the money goes into the appropriate public funds. I do have an issue where greedy b4stards corruptly take money for their own coffers .

You do understand the concept of corruption versus tipping, don't you? If you wish to use that analogy you need to note that tipping is voluntary...... the corrupt payment is not!

Okay, don't tip.

BTW, enjoy your next meal...

27 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Okay, don't tip.

BTW, enjoy your next meal...

Now, you are just not reading the threads properly are you?  ?

I will always tip for good service; I will always seek to avoid making corrupt payments.

I can assure you in Bangkok, Immigration do not charge and do not demand a payment for the transfer of stamps from old to new passports.

I wish I could get 500 Baht for about 2 minutes' work banging a couple of stamps and copying out the relevant details such as the passport number and the permission to stay until date. This is on top of a salary and benefits package!

5 hours ago, khunPer said:

I had to pay 500 Baht at Udon Thani for this service and, actually, I was surprised at how much work it involved. So I did not begrudge them their fee.

There was one thing that irked me though. I had to go back 2 months later for my renewal and by the time it was all done, 5 pages of my passport had been used up. And I hadn't even left town!

Archived