Army Denies Coup Rumours

george

The first I heard about another coup was a Thai academic interviewed on CNN, within twenty four hours of the bombing. He did the obligatory, pro regime, 'I would never accuse without evidence but we all know it was the work of the previous government" dance.......... and then went on to predict another coup within the next couple of months.

But the coup makers, according to him, would not be Taksin people- instead, they would be a faction within the military who believes that the current bunch have been too soft on Taksin.

What else their agenda may be, he didn't say. This struck me as particularly odd- that he would have access to information to make this kind of statement and that the regime would not. Or did they- and simply not choose to 'reveal' it- or acknowledge it. (Though I suppose, to acknowledge such a rift wouldn't do much for the 'to restore unity' clause of the justification for the coup. Unless of course, it could be shown that the rift was between pro Taksin elements and pro Sonti elements- )

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This response simply compounds your folly.If you rely mainly on eccentric websites or googling for your information, you are going to be wrong on almost everything.You don't seem to have taken on board any of the information in Carlyle's own web site.I know your opinion will never change (the use of the term "international crony capitalism" gives your game away) but you are completely and utterly misguided on this subject.The world's major ethical investor, Calpers, out of California is a significant investor in Carlyle incidentally.You are also comically ill informed if you think the directors of Carlyle would lift one finger to help Thaksin out of his predicament.Thailand doesn't figure in their investment portfolio and never has, though they had a recce at the time of the economic crisis in the mid 1990's.

I see, you are implying that using the web for research is folly and that web sites that hold an opionion that differ from your own are by default "eccentric". So perhaps you might want to try searching on Amazon for books on Carlyle written by other muddleheads. Or are books that hold opposing opinions to yours also deeemed folly-filled?

I never noted that Carlyle was involved in unethical investing of the sort that interests Calpers. Nor have I even faintly hinted that Carlyle would lift a finger for Thaksin over his current situtation. And nowhere did anyone state that Carlyle invests in Thailand on a regular basis and I do not know whether they have ever invested in a Thai company as I doubt Thailand has the types of investment opportunities that they have historically sought after.

So if you find what people do not say as being comical and you find yourself laughing at some ether-filled vacuum, then perhaps you should seek professional counseling. Or for less money, perhaps stop watching Fox news and learn how to reason coherently and not have to rely upon ad hominem attacks.

No, of course the web is an excellent tool for research but one must be careful of eccentric sites authored by those with proverbial bees in their bonnets.I am not sure why you are tilting at windmills I never erected to use a Quixotic metaphor.As I would have thought was obvious I know the Carlyle Group reasonably well in my professional capacity and was keen to rebut some of the sillier statements made in this thread.I can see from your posts you are are a sensible fellow and I don't want to lock in combat with you, so all I will say is that Carlyle is not the ogre of legend.And I have never watched Fox News in my life!