Army Denies Coup Rumours

george

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be true. Currently having great difficulty accessing web sites outside of Thailand through True.

Only thing wrong with accessing web sites was due to earthquake breaking cables....unless your on Phuket ADSL ISPs which suck most of the time anyway !

And I mean the shits in Phuket !!

hi guys..

better watch out - looks like there are some rough seas ahead....

could go either way....

i dont beleive they are moving large numbers of troops around for nothing - could be any number of people involved -

one thing is for sure, things are unstable right now and it probably would not take a lot to get things really moving downhill....more bombs a few reneggade army units - serious trouble in the south, political turmoil... stock market crash, currency meltdown.... they are all on the horizon...

i have too much invested in thailand to take this lightly - so all this concerns me greatly and i really hope things will return back to normal as soon as possible....

i just wonder if all those sceptics who continually blamed thaksin for everything and cheered his departure - really knew what the consequences were going to be.....

long live democracy .. long live the king....

amarka :o

Agreed, Lukamar. That is scary.

If it's true and if that happens the CNS and the now Government will cement their place in the history books along with brutal groups like the Bolsheviks, Taliban and the Nazi. Each one of these groups had their own secret police or execution squads, something the CNS has implemented as well. I believe, although I wish I did not, that any PM who would shoot and kill his own father and allow the troops under his command to open fire on unarmed civilians, would not hesitate to snuff out a few in a rice field for a political agenda.

I dont know why so many of you are making fun of this.

This is serious stuff at all levels. For thais, the economy, for tourists, for expats..................

Bluebear, As none of us has any control of the situation we just have to "grin and bare it". The speculation of the forum memebers is a way to lessen the strain on many of us who are living in LOS. So join in and give us your opinion of what is happening. And quit worring about what you have no control over, when it happens, it happens and we will deal with it then. If you can't stop worrying then take a plane to Oz and wait it out.

Scary stuff indeed.

I have always found that it is impossible to be secretive in Thailand. they are all very nosey people everywhere and never stop gossiping about each other. Also when suspects are detained for questioning, they seem to cough up remarkabley quickly, almost like boasting (viz pattaya news/people). So i sincerely doubt that the real bombing culprits are still a mystery. the whole place leaks like a seive and loyalties are changed quickly for modest inducements

My bet is on furhter army intervention to detain some powerful old regimers and disable their power bases, all suitably sanctioned of course

watch this space

Scary stuff indeed.

I have always found that it is impossible to be secretive in Thailand. they are all very nosey people everywhere and never stop gossiping about each other. Also when suspects are detained for questioning, they seem to cough up remarkabley quickly, almost like boasting (viz pattaya news/people). So i sincerely doubt that the real bombing culprits are still a mystery. the whole place leaks like a seive and loyalties are changed quickly for modest inducements

My bet is on furhter army intervention to detain some powerful old regimers and disable their power bases, all suitably sanctioned of course

watch this space

I agree a whole sale house clearing of all the shadowy figures, dark forces mafia whatever and all there hired henchmen would be good for the country in the long run. Good will always triumph over evil! Lets hope no innocents get cot in the crossfire.

Anyone else notice on last night's Thai news the story about another "bomb" being found in Bangkok somewhere?

When the Camera zoomed in close on the disarmed device, the markings "M22A2 - Smoke" could be clearly read - it looked very much like a US manufactured 80mm/3" mortar round.

That proves it!!! Bush and the Americans are to blame!! Let the conspiracy theories begin!! :o

That's not actually a "bomb" its just a smoke grenade used for signaling, and marking.

M22.JPG

Anyone else notice on last night's Thai news the story about another "bomb" being found in Bangkok somewhere?

When the Camera zoomed in close on the disarmed device, the markings "M22A2 - Smoke" could be clearly read - it looked very much like a US manufactured 80mm/3" mortar round.

That proves it!!! Bush and the Americans are to blame!! Let the conspiracy theories begin!! :o

That's not actually a "bomb" its just a smoke grenade used for signaling, and marking.

M22.JPG

Some of the paint seems to have worn off. It's not been in use down Patpong, has it? :D

The CNS give itself more teeth by adopting a revolutionary decree empowering the prime minister to execute those who commit crimes against the country, the sources said.

I can't believe that no one has noticed this tidbit, among all the "no second coup" the fluff. Now that's scarier than the drug war by miles, but it will be legal. If you can't beat them and they won't join you, just take em out and execute em - problem solved.. :o

agree...that is the real scary bit! Does anybody have more information to this decree?

so one bit of the ykw can bump off the other bit

summary justice its called, remember the drug killings, pretty ruthless

stay in bed for the next 10 days, got lots of the latest movies. I remeber the days of the Greek colonels and when the tanks rumbled into Metaxa Square. Confined to my room for 3 days by the gendarms, lived on bread and water (nice rough farmhouse stuff)

its a helluva way to make the baht go down?

Sonthi goes on TV to deny coup

Rumours of another putsch spread rapidly

BANGKOK: -- Army chief Sonthi Boonyaratkalin, leader of the Sept 19 coup that ousted the Thaksin Shinawatra government, went on television last night to douse rumours that he would stage a repeat coup. ''Why would we do this? We risked our lives in response to the demands of the people. Why would we do it again,'' he said in an interview with Channel 9 television last night. ''We have turned over our powers to the government.''

Gen Sonthi's late television interview came at the end of a day that had been abuzz with rumours of another coup. Tension remained high yesterday in the capital following Sunday night's bomb blasts.

Council for National Security (CNS) spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd earlier said troops had been mobilised from Bangkok and nearby provinces to ensure public safety at more than 300 spots in the capital.

He apologised for the commotion caused by the troop movements which were part of an ''operation for peace''.

During the interview with Channel 9, CNS chairman Gen Sonthi also insisted there was no division among the eight council members.

''We are all friends. Only two are younger people,'' he said.

Asked to comment on a foreign report, cited by former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, that the CNS was responsible for the bombings on New Year's Eve he said the foreign media were far from the source of information.

''We love the people too much to do it,'' Gen Sonthi said.

Authorities will today release more information on the status of investigations into the bombings so that the people understand, he added.

At the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) earlier, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont called on the country to prepare for more attacks as suspicion grew that dissident soldiers and police were behind the blasts.

''This probably won't be the last time we see incidents of this kind,'' Gen Surayud said. ''For some time in the future, we must prepare our hearts and minds to face this new form of threat to people's lives.''

Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas and assistant army chief Saprang Kalayanamitr separately implied the bombings were the work of experts in khaki or green uniforms.

''If the perpetrators are out-of-line soldiers or police, they must be executed,'' Gen Saprang said.

''Their commanders, though not the masterminds, were lenient enough to let their subordinates do wrong, and would be considered negligent. They should be dismissed for failure to supervise their subordinates.''

At the NLA, Gen Surayud said there was ''very little'' chance the bombs were linked to unrest in the South.

Citing forensic analysis, he said the materials used to make the bombs, and the way they were set off ''may seem to be similar [to those used in the South], but they are not exactly the same''.

A number of recent bomb hoaxes showed the people behind the New Year's Eve blasts were in Bangkok, he said.

The government had received prior intelligence reports that attacks could take place at the CentralWorld shopping complex, Ratchaprasong intersection and the Seacon Square mall on New Year's Eve, he said. He alerted security authorities, especially the police who were responsible for securing the capital, he added.

Gen Surayud condemned the bombers for showing no regard for the lives of innocent people and public property.

''The places, the timings and the bombs used indicate an intention to cause panic and damage to people's lives and property. Although the amounts of explosives used were small, it showed the intention to cause injuries or deaths,'' he said.

The bombings killed three people and injured 42 others, 15 seriously.

Though expecting more threats, Gen Surayud insisted his government was sticking to its goal to forge social reconciliation and launch fair elections.

Gen Boonrawd insisted that the bombings were the work of defeated politicians who wanted to discredit the government and the CNS. Gen Saprang said the government and the CNS had videotapes of suspects at two bombing sites. And along with Gen Boonrawd, air force chief ACM Chalit Phukpasuk denied the CNS was behind the attacks.

-- Bangkok Post 2007-01-05

Thats a pretty broad decree. By that definition it could be anyone who commits a crime.

Its about time someone stood up and took the bull by the horns. I am tired of these crooks being moved to inactive posts instead of facing real justice. I am rooting for the Generals. I think they have the King and the Thai people at heart.

If it's true and if that happens the CNS and the now Government will cement their place in the history books along with brutal groups like the Bolsheviks, Taliban and the Nazi. Each one of these groups had their own secret police or execution squads, something the CNS has implemented as well. I believe, although I wish I did not, that any PM who would shoot and kill his own father and allow the troops under his command to open fire on unarmed civilians, would not hesitate to snuff out a few in a rice field for a political agenda.

Two IFs in you first 5 words. :D Truly the most absurd and paranoid post in this topic. :o

I bet you'd welcome Thaksin back with a ticker tape parade.

Edited by Tony Clifton

If it is true, it really will screw the economy.......... :D

I don’t think that will happen, had been anticipated for the tsunami but it turned out to be just about how it did, Tourists always flow to Thailand no matter what :o regardless of what it does in sliming the hel_l out of fat pockets

I guess the power of “ here is what I have written and deleted “ has never come closer to shut ‘em away.

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems accessing nationmultimedia.com? It's early now and I am not seeing a lot of internet lag accessing any other sites, both local and international, but I cannot load nationmultimedia.com. It has sort of been like this for me for the last two days. I am using csloxinfo.

GUYS !!!!

is it me... or are you also having trouble accesing www.omgIamSOparranoid.com ?????

somthings got to wrong here !!!!!!!!!! I AM SCARED !!!!!!!!!!

gosch.... gimme a break :o

Many thanks for your informative and helpful reply, off-the-wall. The point was not one of paranoia, but rather to enquire whether others inside Thailand were having difficulties accessing nationmultimedia for whatever reason. I routinely access them for news and to follopw up on links posted here, and it has been frustrating not being able to access the site.

Did anyone see the article about two of the drafters for the new constitution saying they wish to designate the Prime Minister as an appointed official rather than elected by the public? One of them thinks this and another stated that if not an appointed PM then having a clause in place that would allow the government (I guess, the CNS) to instantly remove the the PM. They also want to reduce the number of votes to censure the PM and even further to censure MPs. Sounds to me like the CNS doesn't want to relinquish control after all.

Charter drafters believe prime minister should be appointed

Two newly appointed constitution drafters yesterday expressed their support for an "appointed" prime minister to lead the next government, ahead of the first meeting of the Constitution Drafting Assembly on Monday.

"The prime minister does not necessarily have to be an elected MP," Krirkkiat Pipatseritham said. "But he or she has to be nominated [for royal endorsement] by Lower-House members, who are representatives of the people." He did not elaborate on this controversial issue.

Political parties and activists have opposed any conditions that might pave the way for the sanctioning of a non-elected premier. They believe the junta will exploit such a provision to cling to power by picking one of its leaders or a well-respected social figure as a puppet.

Decho Sawananont said he supported an elected prime minister. However, there should be an "exemption" for a non-elected premier to lead the government in an emergency situation such as a war or a political crisis.

Krirkkiat and Decho were drafters of the 1997 charter which stated that only an elected prime minister could lead the Cabinet - a rule that aimed to close the door on any military intervention.

Krirkkiat also proposes to amend or cancel the requirement in the defunct 1997 Constitution that a Lower-House candidate must hold membership of a political party for 90 days before the registration date for an election.

Deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra was alleged to have manipulated the rule to muzzle his Thai Rak Thai cadres because he could oust "disobedient" members from the party, leaving them without enough time to fulfil the 90-day rule if they joined a new party.

Decho said an attempt to launch a censure debate against the prime minister ought to be made easier as it would prevent any kind of abuse of power by the premier.

During Thaksin's five-year reign, the opposition could not touch him through the parliamentary process, as it could not gather enough support from House members.

According to the 1997 charter, a censure motion against the premier needed the backing of 200 of the House's 500 MPs, while 100 MPs were needed to censure a minister.

A censure motion against the prime minister should require the support of only 50 MPs, Decho said.

Meanwhile, 52 of 100 newly-appointed charter drafters reported for office yesterday. They included Krirkkiat, Decho, Somkid Lerdpaitoon, Seri Suwanpanont and Klanarong Chantik.

They received reports and guidelines about the constitution drafting. One pointed out that the whole political crisis was created by Thaksin's decision to dissolve the House on February 24.

The NATION 04/Jan/06

The country has been divided. To solve the problems will take time. The previous government and its group of hoods have launched a new wave of problems with threats , rumors , fires and now bombs. It will not be easy, but I put 100% support in the current government to cleanup all the old problems and install a new directive for the nation not just a group of TRT leaders. Dr. T cannot be trusted and will do anything to regain power including the latest series of bombings and word of coup attempts. We all have to hold hands and work together to repair the damage done by TRT.

Is this junta ever going to show evidence to substantiate their reasoning that former polititions are to blame for those murdered on New Years?

Also, in complete honesty, no one really cares what your sister-in-law SMSed you from Roi Et.

Speak for yourself Sean. I don't need you telling me what is or is not important. Understand? Any information on the subject, from whatever source, is raw intelligence and can be evaluated as such.

People here, in Bangkok, were told to leave work earlier today, they were texting and calling eachother.

Ticker tape on Channel 5 says army is pulling troops all over the place, apparently in reaction to rumors.

Just a note...today in Udon THani under the new overpass near Big C saw a brand new Thai Army Humvee with what looked like a gun turet on top. Saw a Thai army soldier standing next to it ! Now this is the first time in all my years living here have I see something like this. Could mean nothing..I don't know but, after reading all the above...who knows....

I want a Humvee..pleeaaassseeee

hi all

there are far too many stoopid, trivial and downright spiteful comments on this thread. Over 500 people reading together last night. A lot of them very worried about developments and have a lot hanging on the issues, like me

I call upon Thaivisa to delete these stupid posts just as you quickly delete any post i make that might be remotely critical of the government

no matter what you might think about kids in the playground and the rich one outside the school fence, if they start fighting each other, the result will be catastrophic financially at least.

There is certainly a lot of speculation here and am glad to see peoples points of view. However let me bring up some personality traits of Thaksin that will lend weight to the coup theory.

Thaksin does not like to lose and he will do anything to win no matter how absurd, remember the fake car bomb and the assaults on the PAD.

At the moment the present government is working at getting Thaksin and his family to give up the money that they have that does not belong to them taxes amongst other things. That goes completely against what Thaksin wants and if you think he will just lay down and give it up, think again.

Thaksin has become very easy to read. His track record shows that he just does not just bend the truth a little, he completely turns it 180 degrees. Also his body language is a dead giveaway if he is up to something. If he looks down he is thinking and planning. If he looks down and his shoulders are dropped then he is sad or upset. If he is walking around like some puffed up bird doing a courtship dance then he is most certainly up to something and it is going down.

The bombs of new years eve were meant to shakeup the government and also perhaps a distraction. Because that had less than the desired effect the coup rumors were started. The military movements are in a Provence still under martial law. Also the new post coup unrest is in Thaksin strongholds, and to experience the same type of violence in Bangkok strongly suggests that Pro Thaksin people and perhaps Thaksin himself are behind the bombs. They do come across as arrogant and a temper tantrum of a two year old, both are traits of Thaksin.

Thaksin is probably very upset that Thailand just did not fold and wither when he was forced out of office. Everything he did when he was in office was by design to make the country dependant on him thus an attempt to make himself a necessary evil. Because that did not happen a coup is now more likely.

The happenings of the last several days may just be a test to see how the government will react to situations. The statements by the government to expect more bombs says they feel a significant force is behind them. The only significant force not in power is Thaksin.

To summarize I think a coup is likely but not today. I think it may be a week or more away. It depends on the posture of the military and troop deployment. If you see the military in the street again that should be read as the government is very concerned about a real threat. Reimposing martial law in Bangkok may be necessary.