How much value is there to a USA education for Thai children?

Elkski

I think it really depends on what they want to do when they grow up. A Good Thai Education here can get them a good job here also. But then some of the best Doctors I have met and dealt with are Thai. But in America they would not be allowed to give out a Vaccination, without passing the Medical Exam first. 

So if they want to be Doctors or Lawyers, or even Engineers with the desire to work Overseas, then they should be educated in America. If they plan to make there life here, then there is nothing wrong in what they are doing now. The Home os where the Heart is. If this couple are happy in Thailand then so be it. It doesn't sound like his kids with suffer no matter what. 

Another point is all good plans can easily be layed to rest. They could have big plans for the Daughter to become a Doctor, but later she decide to quit after high school and shacks up with some guy while working as a waitress at Burger King. Now what can you do?

I think to uproot your own life and family only based on a child's future education is a bad idea. Everyone wants there child to be Doctors or Lawyers, or Engineers. But the reality of it all as many don't even finish High School, and end up pumping gas someplace, or a saleman in some sterio shop. 

If they are all happy here,  then they should stay here. Planning your life based on your kids education is wrong! Get a Divorce later and you will be lucky you can even visit them without a fight or argument from your x-wife. It is your life and go with that. You kids will have there own life to deal with. Help them out when you can but don't totally change yours to see that happen.  

On 8/20/2017 at 12:14 AM, Scott said:

I have dealt with both school systems, although much more so the Thai system.   Of students who have spent any length of time in the US school system -- including exchange students, they seem to function much better and have a better grasp on the process of learning.  

Thai schools (and Thai society) are centered more on listening and learning by rote.   Western schools, including the US, are more open and experiential.   

I would recommend an education in a western school system, in a western country over a Thai one.   There is more to education than just the school.  

It is called "rote learning", not "learning by rote".

On 8/19/2017 at 1:14 PM, Scott said:

I have dealt with both school systems, although much more so the Thai system.   Of students who have spent any length of time in the US school system -- including exchange students, they seem to function much better and have a better grasp on the process of learning.  

Thai schools (and Thai society) are centered more on listening and learning by rote.   Western schools, including the US, are more open and experiential.   

I would recommend an education in a western school system, in a western country over a Thai one.   There is more to education than just the school.  

Or a combination of the two.

Perhaps primary and some secondary in Thailand to ensure a proper understanding and assimilation to  Thai culture, and then some  Secondary education in the US to adjust to US culture and understanding,  finally a  superior IMO US  Higher education providing an insight into US , world systems , culture and the prestige it would offer back in Thailand.

After that , if desired some graduate work in Thailand .

I believe such an education would    produce  the best conditions for success and a well rounded person. 

Happy new year to all!!

On 8/20/2017 at 8:13 AM, Ace of Pop said:

I have a good Thai friend who speaks near perfect English,he learned it During Nam Era whilst maintaining US Airbase Aircons .That has always been a mystery to me, because. He doesnt have that awful Yank Twang.No bashing,Americas my ideal , but a Thai who doesnt sound Brit sounds nothing like perfect to my ears.Mine learned at Assumption with Grumpy old Brit teachers but thats many years age now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Not bashing but...

Archived