Two Germans killed in Samui road accident, Russian charged

webfact

Two Germans killed in Samui road accident, Russian charged 

By The Nation

SAMUI: -- Two German tourists were killed when their motorcycle crashed head-on into a car driven by a Russian tourist on Koh Samui on Sunday night, police said.

Police said the accident happened at about 9pm on Thaweerat Phakdee Road in tambon Mared in front of Samui Court.

The Russian told police at the accident scene that the motorcycle was overtaking a pickup truck on the two-lane road when it crashed into the front of his car going fast.

Captain Nawee Jittrabal, deputy inspector of Koh Samui Police Station, said the 46-year-old Russian was charged with reckless driving causing deaths.

The German Embassy in Thailand will contact the victims’ families.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324408

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-21

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The motorbike with the 2 Germans crashed into the Russian's car ,while they

were overtaking another car, and the Russian gets charged with reckless driving,

maybe because he was the only one left alive ?

regards Worgeordie

1 hour ago, docshock13 said:

Unless I missed something, it seems the Germans on the bike entered the Russian's lane in an attempt to overtake the pickup and smashed head on into Russian. 

If so, how can the Russian be charged? 

All farangs  involved ! you can't fine a deceased person, case closed

German students die in motorcycle accident on Samui

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

SAMUI-CRASH-696x385.jpg

Damage sustained to the SUV belonging to Oleg Belikov in a Sunday night accident on Koh Samui. Two German students were killed.

SAMUI — Two German students were killed in a road accident on Koh Samui on Sunday night when their motorcycle into crashed a vehicle driven by Russian tourist.

At about 9pm, the German couple was riding a motorbike down Tawee Rat Pakdee Road when they collided with a SUV driven by 45-year-old Oleg Belikov.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2017/08/21/german-students-die-motorcycle-accident-samui/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-08-21

Unless I missed something, it seems the Germans on the bike entered the Russian's lane in an attempt to overtake the pickup and smashed head on into Russian. 

he was charged for driving on the correct side of the road very dangerous when no one else does that

Whenever there is an Road Traffic Accident which involves a death it is normal procedure in Thailand to automatically charge the surviving driver with 'Reckless Driving Causing Death'...  

Thats why it's important to drive here with 1st Class insurance with a 200,000 baht bail bond. These charges are often later dropped when it is proven the driver is not at fault. 

That said, it would be extremely concerning for someone in such a situation, I'm sure many BiB have profited from such concern in the past. 

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whenever there is an Road Traffic Accident which involves a death it is normal procedure in Thailand to automatically charge the surviving driver with 'Reckless Driving Causing Death'...  

Thats why it's important to drive here with 1st Class insurance with a 200,000 baht bail bond. These charges are often later dropped when it is proven the driver is not at fault. 

That said, it would be extremely concerning for someone in such a situation, I'm sure many BiB have profited from such concern in the past. 

I see from the Khaosod article that police are only contemplating charges.

But is scary to think you can be charged with a serious offence for someone else's poor judgment/negligence. 

Another reason to have "pineapple eyes" on the roads here. 

3 hours ago, docshock13 said:

thats the way i read it also

A person pulled out of a resort without looking and cut off my wife on her bike.

She went down from braking too hard, and then another bike came over the hill,

so fast it hit her downed bike's frame and smashed it's front wheel in 8 inches.

No cash issues between them and my wife, until I I arrived in the car after being called.

The bike driver then tried to hit me for 25,000 baht for his bike.

Never mind that, I was never there at all, the car caused the accident

and then disappeared back into the resort, my wife was lying in the road

when he hit her bike. AND there was a resort video camera on the scene.

Nope, they see me and suddenly think Money Tree.

We told them to <deleted> off and I took my Mrs to the hospital.

I can't comment on the facts in this case as we don't truly know, but unfortunately in thailand there is an attitude here that blame always goes to the car against a motorcycle until all the facts are presented...it's like the car is guilty and one must prove your innocence...by default the car driver has more money than the  financially deprived motorcyclist...so let's even the score BS...

Unfortunately cars always win over motorcycles in accidents but in the opposite spectrum in most cases (for some illogical reason of the association of motorcyclists as poorer kin and unable to bear any accountability) vehicle drivers are often slapped with fines and being judged the guilty party.   

Personally I'd rather be guilty then dead.  RIP to the two unfortunate young men.  Motorcycles and driving in Thailand do not bode well.

It's just a formality. Doesn't mean He is guilty but that's just how the thai justice system works

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As a car driver in a crash with a motorbike or bicycle, you're being hit with some legalese about driving the deadlier vehicle, which makes you (sort of) liable for wrongful death even if it wasn't your fault. Sorry, I'm not a legal expert and I tried googling the relevant details, but didn't come up with anything sensible. Anyone knows more?

5 hours ago, docshock13 said:

Because there can be no tea money from the Germans

42 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

As a car driver in a crash with a motorbike or bicycle, you're being hit with some legalese about driving the deadlier vehicle, which makes you (sort of) liable for wrongful death even if it wasn't your fault. Sorry, I'm not a legal expert and I tried googling the relevant details, but didn't come up with anything sensible. Anyone knows more?

I too have been told this. The larger and therefore 'deadlier' vehicle is always held at fault initially until all facts are presented. Strange but true.

1 hour ago, smileydude said:

Unfortunately cars always win over motorcycles in accidents but in the opposite spectrum in most cases (for some illogical reason of the association of motorcyclists as poorer kin and unable to bear any accountability) vehicle drivers are often slapped with fines and being judged the guilty party.   

Personally I'd rather be guilty then dead.  RIP to the two unfortunate young men.  Motorcycles and driving in Thailand do not bode well.

I dunno mate. I sorta had a win. The car didn't survive but I did (just) ?

IMG_3084.JPG.58f9cece2575ce16db51d1907ed9eb41.JPG

IMG_3074.thumb.JPG.789a801a97855d98b757be34bc23c256.JPG

2 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I too have been told this. The larger and therefore 'deadlier' vehicle is always held at fault initially until all facts are presented. Strange but true.

I dunno mate. I sorta had a win. The car didn't survive but I did (just) ?

IMG_3084.JPG.58f9cece2575ce16db51d1907ed9eb41.JPG

IMG_3074.thumb.JPG.789a801a97855d98b757be34bc23c256.JPG

Yikes, that's the kind of win I'd rather not have.  Glad you made it through mate.

8 minutes ago, smileydude said:

Yikes, that's the kind of win I'd rather not have.  Glad you made it through mate.

Yeah it was a bit of a mess. Fractured skull, subdural haemotoma, acquired brain injury, fractured cheek and sinuses ($1200 full face helmet), brachial plexus injury (arm movement coming back now), sucking chest wound (punctured lung), fractured all my ribs, bruised heart, ruptured spleen, traumatic hernia, 3 fractured vertebrae, fractured left knee, fractured and penetrated left ankle.

2 weeks in a coma and 3 months in a brain injury ward. I still take it as a win though! ?

'Thanks for the kind thought 

1 hour ago, mark01 said:

Charging people without even considering the facts, contributes to why so many hit-and-run in this country.

The headline is grossly inaccurate. Nobody has been charged with anything (yet).

"Koh Samui Police chief Paitoon Krachachang said police were weighing possible charges against Belikov but had yet to make a decision."

5 hours ago, docshock13 said:

cases are first handled by police.

the culture at the police in Thailand is to charge everybody involved with "reckless driving", which first dissuades anyone to go to the police to seek compensation and second encourages fleeing the scene, guilty or not.

I saw that happen when someone cut through a friend's lane to make a turn. I challenged the police officer to explain what my friend's misconduct was and he got angry and asked me to leave the room.

Until blatant incompetence and misconduct by the police in traffic matters is resolved and wrongdoers are properly punished, Thailand's road safety will go nowhere.

6 hours ago, docshock13 said:

I have heard (don't know if it's true) that in any accident involving a car and a motorbike the car driver is always to blame. Seems to me that the Russian was innocent.

6 hours ago, docshock13 said:

Its my understanding they normally charge and hold everyone until the court case, to decide culpability. In this case they cannot. So the Russian remains a suspect, until proven. 

Archived