Two Germans killed in Samui road accident, Russian charged

webfact

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd bet that the insurance guy quietly took care of the bail bond during the time it took to establish that the scooter was at fault.  Since they do it every day, it may have been as simple as a nod to the cops that you've got cover.  You (and your wife) may not have even had to know everything that was going on in the background from a legal standpoint.  That's what the 200,000 bail bond clause is for.  (Edit:  and keeping in mind that's just my guess, I'm happy to hear that it can be that seamless should I be in an accident with good insurance.  I had visions of a day or 2 in the hoosegow while the insurance company came up with the dough.)

Related to the accident under discussion here, it seems that one linked article has the police charging the guy, and another article indicating that they're contemplating charges.  In either case, it makes sense to do something that would keep the guy from scooting toward the nearest international airport while they're investigating.  

Just because he was in the correct lane doesn't mean he wasn't drunk, or speeding, or  pulling out into traffic, or any of a dozen scenarios that need to be determined before he's allowed to leave the country.  It may be days before any blood work comes in on him and the deceased, and CCTV footage is viewed and any witness statements.

I don't know why you are suggesting that things were maybe happening in the background.  I would take your money if you insist on betting. 5555.   My wife is very well educated, a teacher, and is not a dummy and as I also speak Thai (and have 30 years law enforcement experience) so I think I am aware of what was needed to be asked, as she would be.

Admittedly my experience is not in Thailand but the questions asked are on similar grounds  So with my wife and I speaking with the representative, I think we had a fairly good idea what was happening in the background, and of course we would have to know what the legalities were, the insurer is acting on her behalf, not the victim.  My wife provided a statement,  was never charged, no arrest warrant issued, therefore no need for a bail bond. It was just a matter of the family trying to get money from her and the insurer.

Just a little more information. The motorcyclist did not die at the scene and it was deemed at the beginning that he was at fault, however, when he passed away two days later, it was the police and the victim's family who started to seek compensation, not change their initial findings.  I stayed away, as you would be well aware, that if a Thai sees a Farang involved, they see dollar signs. 

Both my wife and the insurance rep politely told them to go and jump and after 4 days the doctor who performed the autopsy, came and provided evidence, which stopped the family and police dead in their tracks.  For a start, at 7.00am, when the crash occurred, he was totally blotto, and the injuries sustained were consistent with the description of the crash that my wife provided.

In addition, he was not wearing  a helmet, no road tax had been paid and we later found that the victim and his family were friends with one of the investigating police. My wife gave the family some money toward the funeral but it was only a minimal amount, whilst they got absolutely noting from the insurer.  As for myself, and your worries about spending time in the hoosegow, if you have first class insurance, get a good rep to assist and if you can speak some Thai and fully cooperate, not be a SA, then you will find things can be reasonable but given where we are, who knows for sure.

Yes, I noticed the discrepancy in the versions presented, who would know what is happening given the standard of news reporting here.  As the story is lacking in detail there may be many reasons, why or if the Russian was or is to be charged, even if he was in the correct lane.  And of course he should not be allowed to go anywhere until the matter is fully investigated by, I hope, competent officers. (Please no SA remarks)

If they have substantial proof that he is at fault and is or will be charged as directed, they can give him bail but hold his passport until the matter is brought before a court.  Without a passport his flight risk is greatly reduced, if not nullified.  The best thing for the Rusky to do is, if he has 1st class insurance insurance, is let the rep do the talking, not sign anything nor make any admissions.  I know the legal system here leaves a lot to be desired but all he can do now is go with the flow.  If no insurance, then he could be in the deep end.:hit-the-fan::wai:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

I don't know why you are suggesting that things were maybe happening in the background.  I would take your money if you insist on betting. 5555.   My wife is very well educated, a teacher, and is not a dummy and as I also speak Thai (and have 30 years law enforcement experience) so I think I am aware of what was needed to be asked, as she would be.

It wasn't my intention to slight anyone.  But there's shorthand to a routine that happens 100 times a day that an outsider won't be able to follow.  It may have been a simple as the cop asking your insurance guy if you were covered, the insurance guy saying "yeah" and that's it.   Just an insurance guy and a cop doing what they do.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:10 AM, docshock13 said:

I see from the Khaosod article that police are only contemplating charges.

But is scary to think you can be charged with a serious offence for someone else's poor judgment/negligence. 

Another reason to have "pineapple eyes" on the roads here. 

yeah.  Just an attempt to try and get money from somebody.  The authorities are "surveying" the situation

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, Si Thea01 said:

I don't know it that is correct or not where you indicate that it is normal procedure to automatically charge the surviving driver, as my wife, who is Thai, was involved in a fatality early last year, and this did not occur.  Admittedly, she had first class insurance and the assistance of an insurance company representative, who acted on her behalf and the insurer, with it being established that the motorcyclist was at fault.:wai:

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, Elkski said:

I imagine it's a big difference if driver is Thai like your wife or farang.  

Correct so the subsequent posts are quite nauseating. 

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, robsamui said:

What a joke this nation is!

Two years ago my friend was overtaking a car at night - at a moderate speed of about 50 Kph - when he saw a motorbike with no headlights coming straight at him.

The police told him that even if the bike had no lights, if the collision happened over the center line, he was at fault.

And the accident today the police are saying that if some kids on a bike drive head on into your car, even if you are on the correct side of the road, it's your fault.

I swear to God the police here make up a new law to fit every accident.

And the most depressing thing of all - the police are the judge and jury - there are no courts you can appeal to (unless you want to spend millions of baht and be tied up in Thailand for the 4 years it will take for them to eventually find you guilty anyway.)

I was driving up towards the main road from the Ghost Road about a month ago when I started to overtake a slow motorbike on the left giving it plenty of room. As I did so I saw an indicator start to flash from someone coming the other way. I managed to overtake and swerve back in before hitting the idiot coming the other way ... they knew they had no headlight and they were still riding around at night. It cost me 30THB to change a bulb last time it was needed.

The other thing is the idiots that flash you to signal they are cutting you up. I flash back immediately, they don't like this and quite often will brake in the hope that you run into them. TIT TIS or for short TITS.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2017 at 1:32 PM, cardinalblue said:

that blame always goes to the car against a motorcycle until all the facts are presented...it's like the car is guilty and one must prove your innocence

Thats why it's so important with dash cams here, it was the first thing I installed when I bought my car,  had one bike that hit my car and no discussion who was at fault when I showed them the video. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, MadMuhammad said:

Yeah it was a bit of a mess. Fractured skull, subdural haemotoma, acquired brain injury, fractured cheek and sinuses ($1200 full face helmet), brachial plexus injury (arm movement coming back now), sucking chest wound (punctured lung), fractured all my ribs, bruised heart, ruptured spleen, traumatic hernia, 3 fractured vertebrae, fractured left knee, fractured and penetrated left ankle.

2 weeks in a coma and 3 months in a brain injury ward. I still take it as a win though! ?

'Thanks for the kind thought 

Yikes is right!

I'm glad you were wearing that expensive helmet or you might not have survived to post your story.

Cheers.

Archived