Myanmar men appeal against death sentences over British murders in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Police have defended the probe and the families of both victims have spoken out in defence of the police investigation.

If I remember well, one family expressed support for the RTP's job as well as the verdict but the other did not. Not at all.

So where on earth did this Reuter's reporter get his sources ? He's working for one of the three major news agencies in the world, for Christ's sake, yet he can't get his facts right.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marvo said:

The judge presiding over and considering the last (failed) appeal was THE SAME judge that found them guilty in the original trial.

I sincerely hope that an independent judge is to consider this final appeal, if not...........:sad:

I believe the Supreme Court judges will be different. Some slight glimmer of hope perhaps? 

14 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

If I remember well, one family expressed support for the RTP's job as well as the verdict but the other did not. Not at all.

So where on earth did this Reuter's reporter get his sources ? He's working for one of the three major news agencies in the world, for Christ's sake, yet he can't get his facts right.

Exactly correct. Hannah's sister stated she had been threatened by the mobsters on the island and her family have never agreed with the verdict. 

rape and murder usualy happen in close proximity of the bodys it is not  uncommon that a close fight occurs before the actual disaster happens.... conclude... there must be some genetical traces on the body of the raped and/or murdered person... 

if it matches with the genetic samples of the accused it is a clear case, if not,  someother evidences must be found otherwise when in doubt the accused goes free... so far my humble non professional understanding about such horrific crimes and the incestigation followed... with great care it must be asured that the accuse are in fact the rapist/murderes because capital punishement is a one way street with no chance to reverse the decision in case later other evidences surface and the real culprits might be found... 

3 hours ago, docshock13 said:

From the OP it seems they are only appealing the sentence and not the conviction? 

It's probably the only chance they have, the conviction will never be overturned, the sentence will be reduced to life imprisonment and the story will fade away

4 hours ago, docshock13 said:

From the OP it seems they are only appealing the sentence and not the conviction? 

The death sentence is a good option for the State in this case. Dead men tell no tales. Easier to brush it all under the carpet of time.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

The lab wasn't accredited at the time of the tests so there's no way of knowing the control and testing on the DNA samples was done in a correct and proper manner. The lab was quickly 'accredited' subsequent to the 'investigation' and face saving lies spouted off by the Thai authorities. 

The Police chief that announced he knew who the killer was and that he had fled to Bangkok, was quickly replaced and that investigation dropped like a hot potato. 

So many holes in this case it is impossible to list or discuss them in a single post. 

It's so quintessentially Thai though, massive doubts over the evidence, accusation of scapegoats, incompetence, corruption, and lies on an island paradise.

They cannot make a cup of coffee properly, let alone handle something as complex as this.

Always a pleasure to read your considered views, <deleted>. I would just add that if the execution is before Prayut's visit to the White House, at least the world's 2 most disbelieved premiers will have something to compare notes on. If the Australian unease re DNA protocol gathers ground, executions seen as wrongful by most of the civilized world will hopefully be a huge and irremovable nail in the junta's coffin.

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The pro capital punishment brigade are unsurprisingly quiet on this one!

I hear you, but personally, I imagine every sane minded individual who is aware of this case and particularly TVF members, can see just how badly these two young men have been stitched up to protect the guilt of a person/persons with great power over the RTP.

High heaven is not too far for this stink to have reached.

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Definitely not guilty, but the hang-em high brigade will be along soon once comfortable on their bar stools.

This should hit the post count well into the hundreds by the weeks end. 

How can you say "definately not guilty" absolutely no one but the real killer(s) knows exactly what happened that day and certainly no one who comments on this thread

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

How can you say "definately not guilty" absolutely no one but the real killer(s) knows exactly what happened that day and certainly no one who comments on this thread

Really? Reports would suggest that all the locals on Koh Tao know who did it but are too afraid to speak lest the meet a similar fate. 

16 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Really? Reports would suggest that all the locals on Koh Tao know who did it but are too afraid to speak lest the meet a similar fate. 

LOL thats not the answer to point I made....."reports would suggest" your words but you consider them not guilty as well. None of us here know for sure either way simple as

Thank you. On what basis do know know who did it: Were they witnesses? Do they have some evidence.? Did someone who was present at the crime scene tell them? ... or are they at the long end of a daisy chain of people who know who did it because someone else who was told who did it told them who did it?

Just now, Chivas said:

LOL thats not the answer to point I made....."reports would suggest" your words but you consider them not guilty as well. None of us here know for sure either way simple as

DNA tests didn't match on the actual murder weapon for the two in question, whereas the guy that was really suspected of doing it refused a DNA test and got away with that.  Cuz his Dad owns Koh Tao.

3 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Thank you. On what basis do know know who did it: Were they witnesses? Do they have some evidence.? Did someone who was present at the crime scene tell them? ... or are they at the long end of a daisy chain of people who know who did it because someone else who was told who did it told them who did it?

Everyone - including the police and the entire judiciary knows who did it.

Archived