Overstay for young child

I've heard somewhere that there were no negative consequences at all to let a child overstay his visa (6 years old son).

Is there any truth to that?

Can my child enter on visa exempt or any kind of visa (tourist etc) and then stay with me indefinitely as long as my own visa is valid?

Children under the age of 15 are not charged a fine for overstaying but still get overstay stamps when they leave the country.

Being exempt from the fine does not make them exempt from needing a valid visa entry or extension to stay in the country.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheFox said:

So in practice, what would be the ill effects of letting my child overstay? Would having stamps in his passport make it hard for him to obtain further visas into Thailand on that same passport?

The overstay stamps should not cause a problem for getting visas.

Since your child is 6 years old they could easily get non-ed visas and extensions of stay for attending school.

If you are on an extension of stay they could also get extensions as your dependent.

Yes, that was my goal to get his extension of his ED visa, but the school closed for summer break and was unable to provide the documents necessary for the extension in time. So now his ED visa is going to expire and I need to decide on a plan of action.

1 hour ago, TheFox said:

So in practice, what would be the ill effects of letting my child overstay? Would having stamps in his passport make it hard for him to obtain further visas into Thailand on that same passport?

There shouldn't be any ill effects at all, but if your child doesn't have dual (Thai/other) nationality it is probably best practice to keep him 'legal' if staying long term. Many foreign children overstay without any consequences. If you already have an extension of stay issued by immigration you might be able to get an extension for your son off the back of yours, as your child.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The overstay stamps should not cause a problem for getting visas.

Since your child is 6 years old they could easily get non-ed visas and extensions of stay for attending school.

If you are on an extension of stay they could also get extensions as your dependent.

thank you too my son is 7 he is a aus citz  he stays here with my wife when i go to work  i will look into this visa for him  he is going to school here my wife has a aus passport and thai passport i think one day she will get caught we were told she can,t have both

Thailand no longer has a problem with dual nationality. Your wife will have no problem. You should probably get your son registered at the ampuor (local government offices) then he would not require a visa.. but later on he may be eligible for conscription.. there are many ways around that though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, casualbiker said:

Thailand no longer has a problem with dual nationality. Your wife will have no problem. You should probably get your son registered at the ampuor (local government offices) then he would not require a visa.. but later on he may be eligible for conscription.. there are many ways around that though.

Not sure but it appears the child is not his current wife's child. If they were a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Australia would be needed. It is not a simple matter of of registering at an Amphoe.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure but it appears the child is not his current wife's child. If they were a Thai birth certificate issued by the embassy in Australia would be needed. It is not a simple matter of of registering at an Amphoe.

hi yes he is my son he was born in aus its my wife and my only son we only live in thailand so i don,t pay tax if i live in aus i pay up to 50 cents in the dollar i work in bahrain .

5 minutes ago, lindlake said:

hi yes he is my son he was born in aus its my wife and my only son we only live in thailand so i don,t pay tax if i live in aus i pay up to 50 cents in the dollar i work in bahrain .

If your son is Thai from birth you can get him a one year extension at immigration for being the child of a Thai national.

I assume you did not register his birth at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney to get a Thai birth certificate.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your son is Thai from birth you can get him a one year extension at immigration for being the child of a Thai national.

I assume you did not register his birth at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney to get a Thai birth certificate.

hi he is 100 % aus born in aus  me and my wife are australia citizen i am a kiwi by birth

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Sorry for the confusion.

no prob we will just let him over stay we check is passport there are no over stay stamps just that he is under 15 and he can go and before he turns 15 we will need new passport