Canadian tourist charged for killer Phuket U-turn

webfact

Canadian tourist charged for killer Phuket U-turn

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1503376240_1-org.jpg

CCTV footage showed the car making the U-turn as two motorbikes approached at speed. Image: CCTV

PHUKET: -- A 37-year-old Canadian tourist has been charged with reckless driving causing death and injury after his attempted U-turn across the path of two motorbikes on Chao Fa West Rd in Chalong late yesterday afternoon (Aug 21) left one of the riders dead and the other in hospital.

Lt Chanat Hongsithchaiyakul of the Chalong Police, who is leading the investigation into the accident, declined to reveal the Canadian man’s name.

“He was driving from Phuket Town toward Chalong (southbound), then made a U-turn in front of Siriyanyon motorbike dealership, about 100 meters from the entrance to Tesco Lotus Chalong,” Lt Chanat said.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/canadian-tourist-charged-for-killer-phuket-u-turn-63553.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-08-22

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

" declined to reveal the Canadian man’s name.", wonder how much they charge for that.

regards Worgeordie

How much does that tinfoil hat weigh as a matter of interest?

36 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Thats one Canuck that won't be playing ice hokey for sometime.

Hokey? In Canuckistan it's just called "hockey". No "ice". The other kind - 'field-hockey'- is played in South Asia and in private girls schools.

The report shows a map with the location of the accident near Tesco Lotus Chalong.

As far as I can see:

it's noteworthy that this is not a U-turn as you see it on divided highways.

The road where the accident happened is a four lane undivided road.

The division is only two solid yellow lines!

This fact will not make life easier for the Canadian I am afraid.

It sounds like a poor decision-making call but was there an illegal infraction?

i believe one can make a u-turn on an undivided road as long as there is not a prohibitive sign...no different than a car coming off a side soi or residence wanting to go the opposite direction thus crossing over the on-coming lane....

just dont go when not clear...what does motorcycle at speed mean? Not traveling at safe speed?

2 hours ago, trogers said:

I rarely make any U-turns. Prefer to reverse into a lane or driveway, and then turn right.

I'm trying to picture this....if you turn right, aren't you running into traffic coming towards you??

2 hours ago, trogers said:

I rarely make any U-turns. Prefer to reverse into a lane or driveway, and then turn right.

Reversing in path of on coming fast traffic ? I prefer to make a right turn into a side road, wait with right light flashing, road clear then turn. Then come back onto main road, Mind you still a good chance that an idiot fast m/bike hits you. It's still a no win situation all round.

This is quite exactly the location where the accident happened (in front of that motorcycle shop).

https://goo.gl/maps/JHNtNEW3Adz

("look around")

He drove on the left side and then tried to turn (around) at this spot.

Even if his turn was slow an oncoming motorbike should have enough time to break except it was excessively speeding.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

i believe one can make a u-turn on an undivided road as long as there is not a prohibitive sign...no different than a car coming off a side soi or residence wanting to go the opposite direction thus crossing over the on-coming lane....

just dont go when not clear...what does motorcycle at speed mean? Not traveling at safe speed?

Illegal to cross double yellow lines in the centre of the road!

57 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This is quite exactly the location where the accident happened (in front of that motorcycle shop).

https://goo.gl/maps/JHNtNEW3Adz

("look around")

He drove on the left side and then tried to turn (around) at this spot.

Even if his turn was slow an oncoming motorbike should have enough time to break except it was excessively speeding.

Thanks for that. I drive this road a few times every week and could not place that m/bike shop.  That stretch of road is narrower for a 200m with only narrower inside lanes each side and no m/bike lane. No chance of u-turn, and it's a traffic flow bottle neck. 

And the left side lane is not wide enough for a car. 

May the deceased RIP and prayers for a speedy recovery for the other injured lad.

I Canadian's life may well be altered from whatever ambitions he had. I don' t know all the circumstances obviously....but he too will probably need all the support he hopefully gets from those near and dear to him.

He came for a holiday.....my oh my....how everything can change in an instant.

1 hour ago, blazes said:

I'm trying to picture this....if you turn right, aren't you running into traffic coming towards you??

You would always be when making a right turn. But you would be looking left, right, and left again before crossing the road. Instead of relying on the side mirror to see traffic from the rear and sides...

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Reversing in path of on coming fast traffic ? I prefer to make a right turn into a side road, wait with right light flashing, road clear then turn. Then come back onto main road, Mind you still a good chance that an idiot fast m/bike hits you. It's still a no win situation all round.

That's another way, if there is a wide enough lane to do a 3-point turn inside the lane.

If you face difficulty reversing due to heavy fast traffic, how much more dangerous would it be to stop left and then try to do a U-turn?

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

you should never drive in Tahiland again, as you drive only like yyou believe and the worth thing is your believe is completely wrong.

undevided line means you are not allow to pass it 1 or 2 doesn´t matter. But this 99% of all people don´t know (if know don´t respect)

in germany it means 400 euro fine and 3 points in traffic register. (12 points mean you are loosing your license for 2 years)

2 hours ago, Godang said:

How do you do that on a dual carriagway?

Dual carriageways would have designed U-turns.

Normal roads with just painted lines between opposing traffic would not.

Better position yourself to be coming out of a lane, stop, and then do a right turn.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

There's no way he is making a u turn either. It's either a right into the Honda dealer or the beginning of a k turn. 

Archived