Canadian tourist charged for killer Phuket U-turn

webfact

18 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i did not make a judgement about this similar accident and i did not know the facts. however just read the link you sent and reading it sounds nothing like the accident that we are on topic about as the pick up driver never drove into the bikes right of way.

The pickup in that accident did cross the oncoming speeding bikes "right of way".

I don't see any point in further discussing this with you as you obviously only see such things as black or white.

Any reasonable thinking person would asertain that both parties carry fault in these two accidents. In both cases the collisions wouldn't have occurred if the bike riders were obeying the rules of the road regarding speed limits.

The car drivers were effecting legal turning maneuvers that many thousands do every day on the roads. Their negligence lies in their incompetence in judgement and inability to complete the task efficiently.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The pickup in that accident did cross the oncoming speeding bikes "right of way".

I don't see any point in further discussing this with you as you obviously only see such things as black or white.

Any reasonable thinking person would asertain that both parties carry fault in these two accidents.

If I am making a U-turn I can curse at upcoming, speeding traffic. At the same time I also know that any accident caused by me making that U-turn would be my fault.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

If I am making a U-turn I can curse at upcoming, speeding traffic. At the same time I also know that any accident caused by me making that U-turn would be my fault.

We disagree. I apportion blame to both parties. Excessive speed in heavy traffic is against the law and a major factor in the cause of the accident.  

56 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

We disagree. I apportion blame to both parties. Excessive speed in heavy traffic is against the law and a major factor in the cause of the accident.  

who would the police and insurance companies back????????????

I do realize that someone died, and I regret not saying an RIP to the person who did

but I seen some news stories where a Thai driver did a U turn like this killing someone else, and it never even made most Thai newspapers. This one did because it involved a foreigner.

Geezer

1 hour ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I do realize that someone died, and I regret not saying an RIP to the person who did

but I seen some news stories where a Thai driver did a U turn like this killing someone else, and it never even made most Thai newspapers. This one did because it involved a foreigner.

Geezer

I don't know if this accident made Thai newspapers.

I do think most if not all deadly accidents are reported here.

On 8/28/2017 at 8:23 AM, stevenl said:

Precisely.

Making U-turns is always dangerous and the main responsibility lies on the vehicle making the U-turn to ensure its safe to do so.

@ stevenl and dick dasterdly

I have a scenario for you both.

Driver A, in a car, wishes to make a U-turn.  He checks the road and sees no oncoming traffic.  He ten commences the U-turn.

Driver / Rider B rounds a bend at speed, is possibly drunk, on drugs, changing a song, texting on his phone, talking to his friend etc, either doesn't pay attention to the roadway, or is going too fast to stop in time, collides with Driver A.

Who is at fault in this accident???? 

My point being, not all drivers / riders in the process of doing a U-turn are automatically at fault. 

16 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

@ stevenl and dick dasterdly

I have a scenario for you both.

Driver A, in a car, wishes to make a U-turn.  He checks the road and sees no oncoming traffic.  He ten commences the U-turn.

Driver / Rider B rounds a bend at speed, is possibly drunk, on drugs, changing a song, texting on his phone, talking to his friend etc, either doesn't pay attention to the roadway, or is going too fast to stop in time, collides with Driver A.

Who is at fault in this accident???? 

My point being, not all drivers / riders in the process of doing a U-turn are automatically at fault. 

Nobody in their right mind would make a U turn unless they could see oncoming traffic.

Having said this, I agree that in certain circumstances speeding drivers can sometimes appear out of 'nowhere' when hills/bends are involved.

On 8/28/2017 at 8:12 AM, Old Croc said:

Any reasonable thinking person would asertain that both parties carry fault in these two accidents. In both cases the collisions wouldn't have occurred if the bike riders were obeying the rules of the road regarding speed limits.

The car drivers were effecting legal turning maneuvers that many thousands do every day on the roads. Their negligence lies in their incompetence in judgement and inability to complete the task efficiently.

pick up?

Archived