What's a used Wave worth?

Inn Between

I haven't been around here for a while as I had to leave Thailand to help with a family situation back home about 10 months ago. I expected to be back in Thailand by now but my return could be delayed much longer -- even indefinitely. I left a 2012 Honda Wave 110i in storage with a friend about a year ago, and want to sell it, but have no idea of what to ask. Any help would be appreciated. It has about 36000 kms on it. The sprocket and  chain were replaced at 24,000 km and , battery and rear tire were replaced some time after that. Any suggestions would be helpful.   

Thanks for the help, folks.  

It's not in really nice condition -- usual fading of paint and plastic, but it has been maintained and runs properly. I'll probably ask somewhere between 12 and 14 then. 

I guess it's off to the classified section.  

I'd prefer to be there riding it, but it's just not in the stars for a while. 

15 hours ago, papa al said:

Unless you are in Thailand, selling the Wave ain't really doable.

Why is that? I have the registration with me and was going to sign it then courier it over to the person who is storing the bike for me. Am I missing something? 

10 hours ago, steve187 said:

unless you need the money or the space used for storage i would hang onto it, is the bike green book in your name.

The person who is storing it is imposing a deadline that I won't likely be able to meet.  Yes, it's in my name.

I guess no one on this forum wants to buy it so best get it advertised properly.....nice try anyway mate.

Put it on at 14k and you will sell it, though TIT means it may take a while....

....or come and get it and ride it home..

AllanB,

I certainly wouldn't have complained if a sale had occurred via this post, but my true intention really was to get a feel for its value. Thanks for your suggestion of 14K. I'd agree that it's realistic.  

I lived in Thailand many years and the possibility of returning before too long is quite possible, so finding a convenient way to keep it ready there is the most appealing option. It was also mentioned in a post that selling it without a current Thailand address may cause a snag, which would make sense, so I'll have to give it more thought. 

I got some good info from my post, so thanks to all. 

On 8/24/2017 at 5:13 AM, Inn Between said:

Why is that? I have the registration with me and was going to sign it then courier it over to the person who is storing the bike for me. Am I missing something? 

Well, Certificate of Residency and a couple other papers; power- of- attorney, one other.

You screwed bro.

6 hours ago, Inn Between said:

AllanB,

I certainly wouldn't have complained if a sale had occurred via this post, but my true intention really was to get a feel for its value. Thanks for your suggestion of 14K. I'd agree that it's realistic.  

I lived in Thailand many years and the possibility of returning before too long is quite possible, so finding a convenient way to keep it ready there is the most appealing option. It was also mentioned in a post that selling it without a current Thailand address may cause a snag, which would make sense, so I'll have to give it more thought. 

I got some good info from my post, so thanks to all. 

I was only kidding...but here is another idea.

14k is not a lot of money/risk and these bikes do keep going, so if you have a friend who could make use of it, lend it to him/her and let them get some use out of it. Keeping it running and keeping it taxed is no bad thing and then if you come back you have some working wheels.

That is what I would do, in fact we are away for many months at a time and I get my stepson to use the truck and bikes while we are away.

On 8/27/2017 at 9:48 AM, papa al said:

Well, Certificate of Residency and a couple other papers; power- of- attorney, one other.

You screwed bro.

Don't forget that you need to use the special LTO sales form, which is all in Thai.  Don't know if it is on-line, I got mine from the LTO.  Both the seller and buyer need to sign it in the right places.

On 8/22/2017 at 8:00 PM, steve187 said:

12,000 baht

I've got a bike same as that.. same ks too..  12 to 15 k would be about right.. I would think.. a good buy for someone at that price..  We bought a used Wave 100 about 9 years ago for 18k.. 15k on the clock.. she still rides it.. 75k on the clock now.. still runs well..   

Why not list in for sale on Thai Visa, most expats selling their junk on there usually put a price the same as new if not more (Cameras and Electronics) or maybe about a 10% discount on a 10 year old bike - You do however have to list it as "Farang Owned" or "Farang Maintained" to be able to command such an amazing price!

Based on your post #11, looks like finding out what it might be worth is pointless in my opinion. You got to move with the deadline instead of trying to get a good price on it. The lower you go the quicker the problem is gone.

Are you in Pattaya, in so, give you 5000 baht for it and a statement email you sold it to me. I will use it for a sidecart that will take care of the paperwork.

Yes, I'm convinced that selling it without living there is not likely possible, but if I were there, I wouldn't be selling it anyway. It looks like my best bet is to find a way to store it longer. 

Thanks for some good input and even for a laugh like the 5000 baht offer to buy it and make it a sidecar. 

I believe this horse is now dead. 

On 27/08/2017 at 9:48 AM, papa al said:

You screwed bro.

Correct.

You need a transfer form, a power of attorney form and a residence certificate from Jomtien all must be signed in blue ink . Also the green book. Copies of your passport and TM card. 

Without all the above nobody can transfer it into their name.

Without that you will be lucky to get 7k.  

Either keep it or sell for whatever your best offer is. 

5 hours ago, Inn Between said:

Yes, I'm convinced that selling it without living there is not likely possible, but if I were there, I wouldn't be selling it anyway. It looks like my best bet is to find a way to store it longer. 

Thanks for some good input and even for a laugh like the 5000 baht offer to buy it and make it a sidecar. 

I believe this horse is now dead. 

let us know outcome.

Don't advertise your bike on an expat site.  They'll simply want the discount they'd expect back home for a S/H vehicle.

Stick it on smokybike.com and have a look at prices beforehand.  Thai's will pay more than we'd tend to paid for second hand stuff.  My Versys sold in no time on there.  On expat sites the offers were way down.

Archived