Thailand ranked among the cheapest places to buy a beer

webfact

Thailand ranked among the cheapest places to buy a beer

484643482.jpg

File photo

A new study has ranked Thailand among the cheapest countries in the world to buy a beer.

The study, carried out by UK based FX comparison site Travelex, who produced an International Beer Index for 2017, looked at the average price of half a litre of beer in 32 countries which are popular holiday destinations for British holidaymakers.

The study ranked Thailand in 6th place, where the average price of a beer was found to be Bt60.

The cheapest country to buy a beer was found to be Bulgaria, followed by Czech Republic and Hungary which were in 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

The most expensive country to buy a beer was found to be the United Arab Emirates where the average price of a beer will cost you AED 40 - approximately Bt362!

Ten Cheapest Places to Buy a Beer (based on per 0.5 litre draft)

1) Bulgaria/BGN Lev 2.00  (£0.97)

2) Czech Republic/Koruna 30.00 (£1.07)

3) Hungary/Forint 350.00  (£1.09)

4) Mexico/MXN Peso 25.00 (£1.15)

5) Portugal/Euro1.50 (£1.35)

6) Thailand/Baht 60.00 (£1.45)

7) South Africa/Rand 25.00 (£1.55)

8) Poland/Zloty 7.00 (£1.56)

9) Jamaica/JM$ 250.00 (£1.61)

10) Barbados/Bda$ 4.00 (£1.65)

Ten Most Expensive Places to buy a beer (based on per 0.5 litre draft)

1) United Arab Emirates/AED 40.00 (£8.81)

2) Norway/Krone 80.00 (£7.61)

3) Switzerland/CHF 7.00 (£5.81)

4) Sweden/S Krona 60.00 (£5.62)

5) Denmark/Krone 45.00 (£5.50)

6) Finland/Euro 5.80 (£5.23)

7) Republic of Ireland/Euro 5.00 (£4.50)

8) France/Euro 5.00 (£4.50)

9) Australia/AU$ 7.00 (£4.24)

10) Canada/CA$ 6.00 (£3.60)

Another study carried out by Travelex earlier this month also ranked Thailand as the best destination for Brits travelling on a budget, the Daily Telegraph reported.

According to the study, Travelex found that Brits could travel for 44 days in Thailand on just £500, spending around £11.43 per day, approx Bt487.

A day’s spending was judged as three meals, four soft drinks, two beers, a coffee, and two journeys on public transport each day.

Thailand came in at 1st place with 44 days, considerably longer than Mexico in 2nd place, where Brits could stay for 26 days £500.

Top 10 cheapest countries (based on how long £500 would last)

1. Thailand, 44 (days)

2. Mexico, 26

3. Jamaica, 25

4. Bulgaria, 23

5. Czech Republic, 23

6. Hungary, 22

7. Poland, 22

8. Turkey, 22

9. South Africa, 18

10. Portugal, 17

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-08-23

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, lamecn said:

Where do you get 0.5 l draft beer in Thailand for 60 THB?

No idea.

Juss that the report does not refer to pubs/bars with a single word.

Buying in a shop and that is quite realistic.

Some arithmetic needed, as the big bottles are usually 0.6x liters.

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

No Cambodia?

Draft beer 50c to $1 all day every day in some bars.

Better selection of spirits, wine and beers than Thailand will ever have too. 

Also no Vietnam which I've heard is dirt cheap for beer.

I was in the UK within the last month, a pint in the average (provincial) pub about £3.20, around 135 Baht, regular price in a downtown Bangkok pub 140 - 160 Baht. I don't know of anywhere in downtown BKK where a pint is 60 Baht, the cheapest being 99 Baht in the Kiwi Bar, and that's a happy hour price.

Then again, a pint in Wetherspoons £1.89 Carling Black Label or £2.05 for John Smith's Bitter.

Lastly, supermarket prices for just about anything were 33-50% of Thai prices.

I don't know where these people got their figures. Seems to be the same people who work for TAT since the figures smell like it was pulled out from their a$$es.

In Montreal, Canada, there are plenty of bars that sell beer for 3 to 4$CDN. Same thing in NYC and some places that I have been to in Paris as well. But the average price of beer in a farang owned bar in Pattaya starts at 80baht up wards to 200baht with some places being even more expensive. Most Thai bars for the locals are better priced.

1 minute ago, ezflip said:

I don't know where these people got their figures. Seems to be the same people who work for TAT since the figures smell like it was pulled out from their a$$es.

In Montreal, Canada, there are plenty of bars that sell beer for 3 to 4$CDN. Same thing in NYC and some places that I have been to in Paris as well. But the average price of beer in a farang owned bar in Pattaya starts at 80baht up wards to 200baht with some places being even more expensive. Most Thai bars for the locals are better priced.

That's the whole issue....a good clean glass, nice music, nice table/chair, bouncer at the door, clean toilets and so on....if we count all those things as well i guess Germany will win the whole contest.

Inclomplete study in my opinion. Due to the excessive taxes on beer and a hugh wholesale price many restaurants make very little money on alcohol in Thailand. In the UK 300% is a normal markup, but in Thailand it can be as low as 30%.

Now I wonder what would happen if they compared wholesale prices of beer. I can buy beer cheaper in the UK at the supermarket than I can in Thailand.

The report did restrict its survey list to 32 countries. But yes, Vietnam is super-cheap. 15 baht (Saigon Red) at happy hour, running to 40 baht (25,000 dong) as a general bar price for Saigon, 333, Tiger, etc. 

I can buy a 330 ml bottle of Singha in a government liquor store in my province (in Canada) for 54 baht, about the same as in a Pattaya bar. Kind of shows you the heavy impact of taxes on price in Thailand.  

50 minutes ago, webfact said:

According to the study, Travelex found that Brits could travel for 44 days in Thailand on just £500, spending around £11.43 per day, approx Bt487.

A day’s spending was judged as three meals, four soft drinks, two beers, a coffee, and two journeys on public transport each day.

Okey! That´s fantastic. I guess personal hygiene, a place for stay and sleep as well as cleaning their clothes is much overrated for the Brits. :cheesy:

No Cambodia?

Draft beer 50c to $1 all day every day in some bars.

Better selection of spirits, wine and beers than Thailand will ever have too. 

Yeah but the huge drawback is you actually need to live in the dump.

Getting drunk on cheap beer gotta help forget better times in Thailand for sure

Archived