Thailand ranked among the cheapest places to buy a beer

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where the F is Singapore in the top ten, 11 quid a pint

I find it's where you want to drink in a  country makes big difference Malaysia you can sit in Nasi Kandar and drink big bottle of warm Carlsberg sitting a plastic cost about 10rm If like a cold pint in an Irish/English style pub its got cost 30rm 

Same applies everywhere you go a desperate piss head will drink at the cheapest shit hole 

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

When I am in Cambo I usually drink wine, plenty of nice bars that match what central Bangkok can offer but much cheaper prices for wine.

No point drinking cheap beer when fantastic French, Australian and South American wines are available dirt cheap. 

I pay $25 for a bottle of Champagne at a good restaurant in Cambo. Maybe 8,000thb for that in Bangkok? $15 a bottle of extremely nice Californian Red, maybe 2,400thb for that in Bangkok, if you can find it and properly stored etc. 

Sure, you can sit with the plebs and drink 75c Angkor draft, if the mood takes you. 

There's good and bad about both places mate. 

I guess it's no real champagne which is an AOC, many here in asia call "champagne" a sparkling traditional method like Chandon or other sparkling wines...If indeed, you can find sometimes 1st prices champagnes in promotion in Europe for only 10€, the average price is more like 25 € in european supermarkets, so I guess that with transport fes, customs fees, and the restaurant profit it's unlikely to be a real Chamagne from the Champagne regio in France.

6 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I was in the UK within the last month, a pint in the average (provincial) pub about £3.20, around 135 Baht, regular price in a downtown Bangkok pub 140 - 160 Baht. I don't know of anywhere in downtown BKK where a pint is 60 Baht, the cheapest being 99 Baht in the Kiwi Bar, and that's a happy hour price.

Then again, a pint in Wetherspoons £1.89 Carling Black Label or £2.05 for John Smith's Bitter.

Lastly, supermarket prices for just about anything were 33-50% of Thai prices.

Agreed. And in Spain i can get a pint for 2-3 Euros. and in a supermarket six beers for the price of one in Thailand. Based on the general income in Thailand beer is ridiculously expensive, which might help explain why the owners of the two biggest producers are among the richest men in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Agreed. And in Spain i can get a pint for 2-3 Euros. and in a supermarket six beers for the price of one in Thailand. Based on the general income in Thailand beer is ridiculously expensive, which might help explain why the owners of the two biggest producers are among the richest men in Thailand.

If they would break the existing Thai beer Oligopol, it would be more raffles, lower prices and much much better beer quality.  Protectionism to the detriment of consumers here. Unfortunately

6 minutes ago, Foozool said:

We can not compare Thai bear with  Mexican or Czeck bear. ?

Mexican or Czeck bear are inexpensive for their taste at least. How about Thai beer❓?

How do you like your bears? Medium or well done?

7 hours ago, Thian said:

This is only about price, not quality of beer or quality of chairs/tables/scenery/beergirls.

Chang beer....headache in a bottle, next morning squirt in the john. Made from rice.  Ain't that nice?  Singha?  Not even as good as America's cheapest beers.  Just more alcohol....for the vacationing alcoholics.

7 hours ago, Thian said:

This is only about price, not quality of beer or quality of chairs/tables/scenery/beergirls.

Travelex your survey is RUBBISH.... what about Lao, what about Cambodia, what about Vietnam... utter horse sh#t.....

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I was in the UK within the last month, a pint in the average (provincial) pub about £3.20, around 135 Baht, regular price in a downtown Bangkok pub 140 - 160 Baht. I don't know of anywhere in downtown BKK where a pint is 60 Baht, the cheapest being 99 Baht in the Kiwi Bar, and that's a happy hour price.

Then again, a pint in Wetherspoons £1.89 Carling Black Label or £2.05 for John Smith's Bitter.

Lastly, supermarket prices for just about anything were 33-50% of Thai prices.

I don't know where they got their figures from. 

Most of the places I visit a half liter of beer costs at least 100 Baht and up to 200 Baht.

A half liter of beer in Denmark can be had for 30DKR (3.72 GBP or 158 Baht)

A bottle of Carlsberg costs about 3 Kr. (16 Baht)

33 minutes ago, petedk said:

I don't know where they got their figures from. 

Most of the places I visit a half liter of beer costs at least 100 Baht and up to 200 Baht.

A half liter of beer in Denmark can be had for 30DKR (3.72 GBP or 158 Baht)

A bottle of Carlsberg costs about 3 Kr. (16 Baht)

Buying icy cold Huda beer 330 ml bottle made by Carlsberg in Da Nang, Vietnam the other night at street bar for ...17 baht. Offered a free plate (10) of cooked quail eggs for nibblys.

well..  the article says not a word about it being in shops,  or bars/clubs, or bottles or draft.. But in denmark it says 45kr, and that makes no sense..  You can go to any supermaket and buy a beer for about 5-10kr (0.7-1.5$) depending on the brand (some even down to 2-3kr.. 0.3-0.4$), okay those are 33cl bottles..  But still...  In bars and clubs however the price can be anywhere from 20-100+kr (3-15+$).. The price of 60 bath i dont get either..  In 7/11 or tesco i get 0.5 litre chang for 50 bath.. In mom&pop shops its 55 bath..  But in restaurants it is 80+ bath

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

No idea.

Juss that the report does not refer to pubs/bars with a single word.

Buying in a shop and that is quite realistic.

Some arithmetic needed, as the big bottles are usually 0.6x liters.

But if it was buying in a shop then the others would be way off, 2 leva/ 1 euro for a beer in BG, thats like their walking street prices.

15 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

No it doesn't. That's decades-old barstool talk that research has already disproved. 

One of the persistent fairy tales/urban myths.

Serious analysis found ascorbic acid in Singha.

A very widespread preservative better known as vitamin C.

Not good for taste but also not harmful.

15 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

No it doesn't. That's decades-old barstool talk that research has already disproved. 

Did someone on the bar stool next to you "disprove" that one for you?  A common preservative in beer is Calcium Disodium EDT, which is made from formaldehyde, fact.

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

Did someone on the bar stool next to you "disprove" that one for you?  A common preservative in beer is Calcium Disodium EDT, which is made from formaldehyde, fact.

That's right. And when the government ordered them to stop using formaldehyde, the customers complained that the taste was so bad, they had to let them start using it again. 

16 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

The beer garden pattaya all day every day

Do your research! It's 100 Baht for 500ml (what they call a pint in Thailand for some reason):

20151106111158247.png.2d1e056b80477da25bc403d522e2a2fd.png

(Image from Google, prices in line with the menu I was given 6 weeks ago)

Just a couple of thoughts;

The 0.5 litre is a standard measure, just to regulate the article. 

If you know where to look in Laos; single malt whisky can be bought for less than 50 Bhat a litre. Even cheaper than Low khow.  Plenty of the single malt finds its way into Thai bars at exorbitant mark ups.

Archived