Delayed Retirement extension

My Retirement extension is due for renewal September 30th, and I'd like to know if there's any way the date of renewal can be extended by a few weeks at Chiang Mai Immigration.

I'm overseas at present, and have been told that I need some open-heart surgery which will prevent me returning to Thailand in time to process my renewal.

I really don't want to go through the hassle of a new application and all the paper work involved, plus the time involved working through a consul and embassy.  e.g. a police report would be difficult as I've been in Thailand the past five years.

Any suggestions appreciated, and please feel free to PM me.

There is nothing you can do but start all over again if you are not able to return before your extension ends.

You would not need a police clearance if you were able to get a single entry non-o visa. You only need that to apply for non-oa visa.

You could also get a single entry tourist visa and then change the 60 day entry from it to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

You can't delay the extension past your current permission to stay.

So you'll need to start again in some way.

Basically two paths:

O-A visa from your home country

New O visa (then new first retirement extension) with the 90 day O visa obtained in your home country, a neighboring country to Thailand such as Laos or Malaysia, or as a CONVERSION application in Thailand from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa.

18 hours ago, sra123 said:

You don't need to worry go to pattaya and find a express visa they will get you a retirement visa just come back on a 30 day visa it Will cost about 25000b

Pattaya is rather a long way from Chiang Mai where the OP appears to be based. Not a trip which I would personally relish undertaking if I had just had open-heart surgery!

If your 65 or over and in receipt of the State Pension you can simply apply by post for a single entry 90 day Non Imm O Visa from the Thai Embassy in London.

Within the last 30 days of that Visa you apply for a new extension at your local Immigration using the same method and documents that you previously used to obtain your extensions.

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

If your 65 or over and in receipt of the State Pension you can simply apply by post for a single entry 90 day Non Imm O Visa from the Thai Embassy in London.

Within the last 30 days of that Visa you apply for a new extension at your local Immigration using the same method and documents that you previously used to obtain your extensions.

Interesting information, thank you.  

I wonder if this rule applies for Australians, and if the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra does the same thing.

5 minutes ago, masuk said:

I wonder if this rule applies for Australians, and if the Royal Thai Embassy in Canberra does the same thing.

No they don't. It is only a rule in the UK.

You will will not be able to get a single entry non-o visa in Australia. Your best option is to get a single entry tourist visa from one of the consulates or the embassy unless you decide to apply for a OA visa in at the embassy or the official consulate in Sydney.

Getting a tourist would allow more time to apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa at immigration and would not require a return or onward ticket to board your flight to here like traveling without a visa would.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No they don't. It is only a rule in the UK.

You will will not be able to get a single entry non-o visa in Australia. 

Have the rules changed in the last 3 years, they used to issue a Non Imm O based on proof of funds, even if not retired.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Have the rules changed in the last 3 years, they used to issue a Non Imm O based on proof of funds, even if not retired.

It has certainly changed. It has been at least 2 years since I have seen a post of one being issued in Australia for being 50 or over.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has certainly changed. It has been at least 2 years since I have seen a post of one being issued in Australia for being 50 or over.

Shame.

I have an Aussie mate who was issued a ME Non Imm O at Brisbane 3 years ago on the basis of being over 50, with just 3 months bank statements.

On that advice, the OP will have to obtain a TV then and do a conversion at Immigration..........unless he's married to a Thai, which no one asked and he never stated his marital status.   :whistling:

Edited by Tanoshi

Well, I'm certainly hoping I can proceed with my non-immigrant A-O visa once I'm back in Chiang Mai.

e.g. getting a police clearance when I haven't lived in Australia for 5 years now.

Hopefully, the Royal Thai Constabulary have not kept a record of my 100baht fine for driving my new car and red number plate out of the district where I bought it.

6 minutes ago, masuk said:

Well, I'm certainly hoping I can proceed with my non-immigrant A-O visa once I'm back in Chiang Mai.

e.g. getting a police clearance when I haven't lived in Australia for 5 years now.

You would not be getting a OA visa in Chiang Mai. You would be applying for a non immigrant visa and a extension of stay. A police clearance is not required to get those.