[need] Help setting up AIS Playbox

rexall

Hi ForumMates,

Anybody got an AIS Playbox with premium channels who can help me configure?

Just got AIS Playbox with premium channels for B899/mo (+ your regular fiber internet charges).  It's a pretty good deal, the streaming is excellent (with my 200/50 fiber connection), and the premium package just hits my "sweet spot" in providing a decent selection of programming that I am actually interested in looking at. Now that my local cable dropped Fox Nooze and several other English channels, there is almost nothing else worth looking at.  Keeping it around no longer even justifies the minimal B300 I have been paying.

Anyway, in case you don't know,  the AIS Playbox is just a a regular android device that comes loaded with a proprietary AIS interface where you select programming, et al.   The interface is OK, but not wonderful, but one thing I have not figured out is if you can have shortcuts, or bookmarks, or favorites of some channels.  There are 100 channels that display on a slider on the bottom of the screen, and you have to scroll horizontally through all 100 to find the one you want . . .  unless there is some one to bookmark favorites, or put them in a separate folder or something.

However, like any android box, you can install another launcher, which I have done. To get back to the AIS interface, there is a shortcut on the home screen, so you can easily switch back and forth between the two interfaces. Someone said you can put shortcuts on the home screen with  premium channels from the AIS interface, but I have not figured that out yet.   Sorry for the long-winded preamble.  Here are my two questions:

1.  In the AIS Interface, can you bookmark or favorite specific premium channels?
2.  On the home screen of the new launcher, any way to put shortcuts to some premium channels from the AIS interface, for example,  HBO, Nat Geo, Fox, Sky Nooze?

Thanks for any help.

Regarding question 1, no way I know of.

Regarding question 2, can't speak to that as I only use the AIS launcher.

I'm currently on AIS FIBRE 100/10 with Playbox and HD Platinum package. Just before I read you post I was talked to the AIS Fibre Call Center as I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to their Power4 200/50 package with Plantium HD, Hooq, and unlimited data SIM.

Since you have that package (I think) can I ask what router model number they provided and if you would post some speed test results to Singapore and Los Angeles? Thank in advance.

Will provide some more feedback on your Playbox after I get back home tonight and get on my laptop vs this smartphone.

Now back at home....below ThaiVisa topic on the AIS Playbox gives a lot of info on the new boxes. Although the topic title indicates it may only talk having more than one Playbox the topic  includes/mutated into a quite a few posts addressing Playbox unique issues and settings.  Some issues that might appear as problems were really just settings...change a certain setting....problem resolved.  A lot of the posts are by Sookee and myself as we figured out various issues/settings with the new Playbox.

Tks, Pib.  I sent you a PM with speedtest results.

The AIS installers were dysfunctional.  Two young kids.  They did get everything working, but obviously were intent on doing the bare minimum they could possibly get away with and escaping as soon as possible.  They forget to plug the router into my pc, and we had to chase them out to their truck just before they could escape. Not a big deal, but annoying.  More   problematic;   We discovered that on the Playbox, cofig panel,  there is more than one setting for English.  They only changed one of the settings which changed most of the interface to English, but left the config  panel itself still in Thai, and left the tabs on the slider in Thai.  Fortunately, with Mr. Punch's help, we sorted it out.  Now the tabs are in English making it easier to use.  And wa la!  One tab says "MyChannels."  I have not figured out how to actually assign channels to that tab yet, but we are making progress.

Tks for the link.

Thanks for that PM.  

Yea, when the AIS tech installed my AIS Fibre around 14 months ago six (6) of them showed up...they all showed up in a little used compact car....personal car...no company vehicle...obviously just contractors versus regular AIS employees.   The two techs had 4 trainees in tow....it was a combination install and train some new guys situation since back then AIS Fibre was still pretty new....but all six did well.  But none of the six knew any English other than a few basic English words....thankfully I know just enough Thai to struggle by in most cases...plus, my Thai wife was around to translate my tougher questions.  But I will say when dealing with the AIS Fibre Call Center, their English is just fine.

But where  you said they changed the box's Android basic language to English just like you would change/set in a smartphone, none of the six knew how to change the channel banner language to English...same problem you had.

They just said "the banner comes in Thai only."   Later I figured out the very last selection on the far right hand side of the banner said  "Settings" (but in Thai), clicked that, drilled down a little bit, and found the settings for Thai, English, subtitles, etc. Changed the settings to English and now the channel selection banner and other TV channels sub-menus are in English.  

I think the My Channels may just show channels you have recently viewed or simply moved the channel selection over although not actually selecting the channel....kinda like how google/your browser will remember websites you have frequently/recently visited.  

I'm about 99% sure that I will upgrade from 100/10 plan to their new Power4  200/50 plan.  Have talked to the AIS Fibre call center several times over the last two days about the plan such as pricing after the 12 month promotion, the SIM card, router upgrade, etc.  

By the way, I did a speedtest.net test to LA shortly after viewing your PM and got basically the same download speed as you did.  I was not surprised because a higher domestic speed plan, such as upgrading to a 200Mb plan from a 100Mb plan, does "not" necessarily mean a person's international speed will be any better, excluding testing to Singapore where you can still get full or almost full speed of your plan due to special lines/peering between Thailand and Singapore.  I experienced the same thing when I was on a TrueOnline DOCSIS (cable) 15Mb plan...did some speedtest comparisons with other TrueOnline DOCSIS folks who had 30Mb speed plans and our international speeds past Singapore (i.e., to the U.S., Europe) were basically similar....and in some cases I had the better speed with my lower speed plan.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Tks. Pib.  Those speed test numbers don't mean very much to me. We always want more speed than we have got, but I don't have any complaints.  I have no complaints about speed streaming or downloading video.

18 hours ago, Pib said:

I think the My Channels may just show channels you have recently viewed or simply moved the channel selection over although not actually selecting the channel....kinda like how google/your browser will remember websites you have frequently/recently visited.  

Nope...I was wrong....last night I found some info on what the "My Channels" selection is on the TV channel groups ban.  My Channels just shows "all" the TV/movie channels you have subscribed to/have access to.    It's kinda like showing everything you can view without any "sorting/grouping" occurring.

Whereas, the other channels groups such as News, Movies, etc., simply do a mini-sort which groups together the News, Movies, etc., channels and then displays the first News, Movies, etc., channel at the middle of your channels selection band.   

Actually, regarding any channel group you select, that group will still show all the channels/movies you have access to ...it's just "some" sorting will occur to group together certain types of channels....makes it easier/faster to get to certain channels versus scrolling and scrolling until you find the channel(s).

You can find what My Channels does by going to Settings on the channel band selector, select How To Use, and then scroll through the 9 or so Help slides that appear...one of the slides talks about "My Channels."   A snapshot of that slide is below...I circled the My Channels explanation.

So, My Channels is "not" for you to add and subtract your favorite channels...it's just to show you the total content you have access to.

Capture.JPG.9564a5a0f5c778187b8f9b7e7c111b91.JPG

Archived