Where is the closest cheap guesthouse area near Central Mall in Udon Thani?

Hal65

I'm spending a day in Udon (on my way back from Vientianne). The bus stop is very close to the central mall which is my drop off point and I'm just looking for a simple place to sleep, say 200-300 baht. Sit toilet would be nice as well and ability for the desk person to deal with an English speaker. Is there such a guesthouse/area near that part of town or do I need to head farther out?

There are a lot of hotels/guest houses close to the bus station and Central but I don't know of any that cheap. I sometimes stay at The One Residence. 5 minutes walk from Central. 600 baht/ night. Excellent hotel.

Try booking.com.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If you want that cheap, you must include nasty with maybe a squatter.

But, if you exit the bus station to the side street and not the main road, there's a 7/11. Right across the street is a hotel you enter down a small alley to a 7-car park. Look above for the orange HOTEL sign. Last time I stayed they had pictures with prices of all their rooms. I can't find this place on any of the booking sites.

I stayed there for convenience maybe 3 times and it is cheap and ....

Compensation there are also cheap eateries within a few meters and of course that 7/11. 

Opposite 7/11 in front of the bus station is the 'Sritikarn'  hotel, probably grotty enough for you, but the cheapest in the area I think at 450thb. It is clean and friendly. But there is, or was a cheaper backpacker hostel too nearby, with rooms as well as dorm accommodation...Forget the name but if u exit the bus station onto the quiet side road to your right behind the tuktuk rank and go right past the Silver Reef hotel and turn left into the soi with the City hotel on the corner and walk 200 or 300m almost to the end where it emerges onto the dual carriageway in front of Central, it is on the right hand side. Actually just along to the right from the Sritikarn is Fuzzy Kens bar and restaurant. Ken is always very helpful and Im sure he'll give you directions to all the local 'dives' to lay your head. Good English grub there too.

I thought Udon was cheaper than that, I guess those Youtube videos can lead you astray about a place and what rentals actually go for. Anyways I'll probably just spend the extra night in Vientianne in that case and bus over the border early day.

1 hour ago, Hal65 said:

I thought Udon was cheaper than that, I guess those Youtube videos can lead you astray about a place and what rentals actually go for. Anyways I'll probably just spend the extra night in Vientianne in that case and bus over the border early day.

OK....a little further away but within walking distance -10-15mins, or a 50thb tuktuk  ride is Lotus Condotel...042340777, 212221. 300thb for air-no fridge. Maybe cheaper if they have fan rooms. English speaking staff and boss in the day but rarely rarely evenings.

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

Jeez mate 450 for a room how cheap do you want?  Especially for a sit toilet and someone who speaks English in Isaan. If you spoke Thai I'm sure you could find a Thai hovel for a couple hundred baht.

9 hours ago, SunsetT said:

OK....a little further away but within walking distance -10-15mins, or a 50thb tuktuk  ride is Lotus Condotel...042340777, 212221. 300thb for air-no fridge. Maybe cheaper if they have fan rooms. English speaking staff and boss in the day but rarely rarely evenings.

50 baht tuk tuk ride? Your having a laugh he wants a 300 baht room mate how's he gonna spend 50 on a tuk tuk? 

Archived