BBC Iplayer

smedly

The BBC seem to have escalated their efforts to block VPN access, I had 2x VPN services that were working up to last week

VPNUnlimited - was blocked about 6 weeks ago

PureVPN - a few days ago

what's your experience ? anyone out there still got a working provider ?, my guess is that if you have it won't be for much longer.

It seems now the only way would be to have a fixed personal VPN IP but that is prohibitively expensive 

TunnelBear still works for me.  I just use the Chrome browser add-on (not the free version though)

I managed to register an account with the Beeb, using a genuine UK address and postcode - although I no longer actually live there.  I do get the 'Do you have a TV licence' question but, as yet, they are obviously not trying to match the account information with a licence number.  Maybe soon, then we will be screwed!

3 hours ago, smedly said:

what's your experience ? anyone out there still got a working provider ?

I have never used a paid VPN until now. On Google Chrome the Browsec and Location Guard addons enable the BBC iPlayer still runs OK for me.

That said I rarely use this and prefer the Kodi BBCiPlayer addon from NAN that does not require any VPN at all. I do find the BBCiPlayer web site useful to look at occasionally as a magazine style page of whats available and popular now, but then I just go to Kodi and watch the program I need.

Archived