computer upgrading/building

smedly

I was thinking of upgrading my mother board and possibly my Graphics card, both not old by any means and would likely be a really good simple upgrade for someone wanting to save some money possibly as much as 50% off the current retail price, it sort of seems a shame that there isn't a service in Thailand/Pattaya were they will take a trade in for your old kit (which in my case isn't old at all) against a new purchase, My current MB is an MSI H170 1151 DDR4 Gaming Pro and the GPU is a Gigabyte GTX960

Try Kong Computers on the 4th floor (I think) at Tukcom.  Kong may trade in your old boards and do the upgrade for you. I always find him honest, reasonably priced and reliable and his English is very good.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

I was thinking of upgrading my mother board and possibly my Graphics card, both not old by any means

If you make any significant changes to your motherboard then your processor and RAM will probably not be compatible with the new one. If they are both compatible with the new one then there will probably be very little real difference between the two motherboards.

What do you think you are going to gain by changing your motherboard?

Have you considered fitting an SSD which will make a huge difference to the speed of your machine? The cost will be minimal if you just fit a 128Gb SSD as system drive, and retain your existing drive for your data and any very large programmes you may have.

5 hours ago, KittenKong said:

If you make any significant changes to your motherboard then your processor and RAM will probably not be compatible with the new one. If they are both compatible with the new one then there will probably be very little real difference between the two motherboards.

What do you think you are going to gain by changing your motherboard?

Have you considered fitting an SSD which will make a huge difference to the speed of your machine? The cost will be minimal if you just fit a 128Gb SSD as system drive, and retain your existing drive for your data and any very large programmes you may have.

thanks for the post but I have a really good handle on hardware, my CPU like my MB is current 1151, already have  an SSD (240gb) and 16gb DDR4 ram 2666 (which is probably extreme) and 4tb hardrive, I do have a pretty fit machine as it stands right now, the GPU handles pretty much everything I need, do I really need to upgrade anything ? well that depends, a GTX 1080 would be nice 

The point is that I have some pretty good hardware already..................if someone wants it for a considerable upgrade at a discount....then why not 

• 4 weeks later...

also....................

Intel® Core™ i5-6400 Processor, that slots right into that Motherboard, 4k baht (cost 7k), both items boxed in original packaging and as new, will throw in a tp-Link n300 wifi card (worth 600baht) for free

https://ark.intel.com/products/88185/Intel-Core-i5-6400-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz

Archived