Growing lettice - any tips

Iceburg lettuce won't grow properly this far south, too hot. Same with cabbage, won't close up. Grows in the hills of Chang Mai.

I tried growing broadleaf lettuce but it just tasted bitter.

You'd do better in the Organic Kitchen Garden subsection of the Farming Section though, loads of good gardeners there.

Maybe one of the mods could move it there @Crossy?

I'm in Kap Choeng Surin Provence. The wife is into organic gardening in a big way along with her 100 or so chickens and duck. Last year she grew Romaine and Grand Rapid Leaf lettuce and it turned out fantastic. She believes in maximum compost preparation and no chemicals. We just returned from the colonies after a 3 month visit with 5 suitcase at 50 pounds each. (customs never bated an eye):shock1: One of those cases had nothing but seeds and bulbs. She has been working her touch off getting her realm back in shape. Another poster mentioned ice burg lettuce, I'm not saying you can not grow it hear but my sources say it is a wast of time. If and when you see it in the better supper markets buy it as it is imported. At the moment she has over 30+ flats, 30 pots per flat of nursery stock in the works. As things get going I shall do my upmost to update and add photos.

19 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

I'm in Kap Choeng Surin Provence. The wife is into organic gardening in a big way along with her 100 or so chickens and duck. Last year she grew Romaine and Grand Rapid Leaf lettuce and it turned out fantastic. She believes in maximum compost preparation and no chemicals. We just returned from the colonies after a 3 month visit with 5 suitcase at 50 pounds each. (customs never bated an eye):shock1: One of those cases had nothing but seeds and bulbs. She has been working her touch off getting her realm back in shape. Another poster mentioned ice burg lettuce, I'm not saying you can not grow it hear but my sources say it is a wast of time. If and when you see it in the better supper markets buy it as it is imported. At the moment she has over 30+ flats, 30 pots per flat of nursery stock in the works. As things get going I shall do my upmost to update and add photos.

You'd be far enough north I think to grow cabbage & lettuce. Chon Buri is too far south and doesn't get cold enough for lettuce or cabbage to close.

Just now, grollies said:

You'd be far enough north I think to grow cabbage & lettuce. Chon Buri is too far south and doesn't get cold enough for lettuce or cabbage to close.

I am on top of the Cambodian border and its hot as h#$%.:shock1: We do not get snow as much as I joke about it.:smile: If you do a proper compost bed, keep the ground moist and give some kind of indirect shade, I'm convinced you can do it where your at.:partytime2: Try what I have suggested in a 1 meter concert ring. Place near a tree for sun protection. Also making your compost in this ring should take about 30 days, straw, cow shit, pig shit, rice hauls and chicken shyt. Layer it.

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

... things get going I shall do my upmost to update and add photos.

I for one can't wait for that! 

•  

I had good luck with Royal Green Oak, Mixed Oak and Grand Rapids. Ice Berg lettuce was a bust got nice big leafs but heads did not form. Also a bust was Broccoli, Cauliflower and Napa Cabbage. Got nice big plants to grow but heads failed to form. All were grown in container pots. Potting soil was from Thai Watsadu mixed with sand, cow dung and rice hulls. Some had full sun some had part sun here in Pattaya.

Archived