How to kill off cockroaches?

Hal65

53 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Bug spray, the concentrated type in the white bottle with orange cap. Mix in pump action spray & your away - don't spray it in the open like I see the fumigators do as it will become useless when it rains  

Can I prespray an area where I sometimes see them or do I have to shoot them directly with the spray?

Also, I assume Home Pro and similar Home Improvement Stores will have these? How about Big C (I looked but didn't see anything)? 

2 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Can I prespray an area where I sometimes see them or do I have to shoot them directly with the spray?

Also, I assume Home Pro and similar Home Improvement Stores will have these? How about Big C (I looked but didn't see anything)? 

Mostly home improvement stores & just spray it around the base of house or where ever you think they are  - should last a couple of mths 

We used a Thai product to successfully kill off a major population of cockroaches that had infested our kitchen and bathroom areas.  I cannot tell you the name of the product, because I cannot speak or read Thai, but I can describe it. 

I bought it in Tops Market quite a while ago but had never used it because I couldn’t understand the directions.  It was a small set of two or three packets which were colored light-brown or tan.  The only English words on them were something like, “kills termites, cockroaches, ants, and powder post beetles.” 

Our infestation got so bad that I showed the product to my Thai wife, who took a packet or two and spread the powder on the floor in dark corners.  Within a week, we had no more cockroaches in the house. 

Borax will work, can mix with flour to get them to eat it.

An even less toxic option is food grade diatomaceous earth (not the type used for pool filters).  I have not found it in Thailand yet.  You can order it online from biovea or vitacost.

You can do a search on either one for more info.

I used to be tormented endlessly by cockroaches, and almost had to move because of it. I spent a lot of money on powders, pastes, sprays, and even the fogger bombs all to no avail.  I then stumbled on a simple, cheap and very effective solution: 

Mix flour, sugar, and boric acid together in equal proportions, perhaps an ounce of each material.   Add some water, enough to make it into a thick paste.   Smear the mixture on surfaces where you have seen lots of roaches.   The sugar and flour attract the roaches, they eat some of it.  They return to the nest, where they die and are eaten by their colleagues.   Soon, they are all dead.   I refresh  the paste applications once a year or so.    I have not seen a cockroach in my residence for over 4 years. 

1 hour ago, Zenwind said:

We used a Thai product to successfully kill off a major population of cockroaches that had infested our kitchen and bathroom areas.  I cannot tell you the name of the product, because I cannot speak or read Thai, but I can describe it. 

I bought it in Tops Market quite a while ago but had never used it because I couldn’t understand the directions.  It was a small set of two or three packets which were colored light-brown or tan.  The only English words on them were something like, “kills termites, cockroaches, ants, and powder post beetles.” 

Our infestation got so bad that I showed the product to my Thai wife, who took a packet or two and spread the powder on the floor in dark corners.  Within a week, we had no more cockroaches in the house. 

I know the product, but not the name, it is pretty good but still not 100%, these critters are bulletproof! My wife bought some and it did a pretty good job for about 3 weeks, but if food is left out....like Thais always do, they will be back.

18 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

I know the product, but not the name, it is pretty good but still not 100%, these critters are bulletproof! My wife bought some and it did a pretty good job for about 3 weeks, but if food is left out....like Thais always do, they will be back.

I read somewhere that scattering bay leaves where they run will chase them away. Don't know if it works but worth a try.

2 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Food denial is the best answer. But like you say they are bulletproof. And apparently neuk proof. They were one of the few critters, along with snails, that went unscathed during the bomb testing era. So I guess our puny efforts don't stand a chance.

Ours come out during the wet season, like. now. but I've found all their entry points and give them a periodic spray of persistent Baygon. It's the one in the dark green can and is good for about 4 weeks. They do still emerge sometimes, but they don't survive very long once they've crossed the 'chemical mine field'. 

I was away continuously fer about 4 years working only returning every 3 - 4 months for 2 weeks leave and cockroaches began to appear, big mothers that weren't there before...

I retired last year and have been at home ever since and the cockroaches were around fer a couple of months but I haven't seen one fer 6 - 7 months now...my big, ugly and menacing presence did the trick I suppose...

the centipedes were another matter...I broke my leg during my eradication efforts requiring surgery and almost capitulated to the foul critters but I managed to prevail...maybe the takabs felt sorry fer me and cleared off own their own; 'tutsi is a decent chap and we've already caused him enough grief...'...

keep an ye on whatever ye put on the floor to control the vermin as if not careful ye can slip on the stuff and fall, polished tile floors and etc....I found out the hard way...

9 hours ago, Hal65 said:

The spray and the chemical can be bought at Homepro (or similar)... I believe he is suggesting 'Chaindrite' The assistants in there often have no idea and you wouldn't want to disturb them from being busy on their phones ... the spray is in the gardening section, the chemical may be there or as I found it, where all the paint is!

First find where are coming from. We hAve removal basin lids besides the house. I removed them and put fine wire mesh down and put the lids back on. Also the floor drains in the bathroom. See very few roaches now. 

Cockroaches are resilient. They have been around for a million years of us trying to kill them.

Find the place they are hiding in: a hole, a closet, wherever. Get Baygone spray with the long add-on tube. Spray.

You will see dead roaches soon. They have moved on . They will be back maybe years later.

9 minutes ago, themerg said:

Cockroaches are resilient. They have been around for a million years of us trying to kill them.

Find the place they are hiding in: a hole, a closet, wherever. Get Baygone spray with the long add-on tube. Spray.

You will see dead roaches soon. They have moved on . They will be back maybe years later.

Yup. That's the same stuff I recommended in my post #14 Very effective.

11 hours ago, BEVUP said:

Mostly home improvement stores & just spray it around the base of house or where ever you think they are  - should last a couple of mths 

Find the good quality termite killer, then dilute it with water as per  instructions, spray into any drains nearby, also the small drains in bathrooms and and the base of doors. 

This works well, but as soon as you clean an area or heavy rains come you need to reapply. 

They walk across the line of poison, then later die.

17 hours ago, rwill said:

Borax will work, can mix with flour to get them to eat it.

An even less toxic option is food grade diatomaceous earth (not the type used for pool filters).  I have not found it in Thailand yet.  You can order it online from biovea or vitacost.

You can do a search on either one for more info.

Many years ago we bought Boric acid powder in Phuket, on the advice of a yachtie. Sprinkle all around the edges of your rooms cockroaches trample in it, carry it back to their nests and it kills off the entire brood. Worked for us, very effective, even in a commercial kitchen.

17 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

I used to be tormented endlessly by cockroaches, and almost had to move because of it. I spent a lot of money on powders, pastes, sprays, and even the fogger bombs all to no avail.  I then stumbled on a simple, cheap and very effective solution: 

Mix flour, sugar, and boric acid together in equal proportions, perhaps an ounce of each material.   Add some water, enough to make it into a thick paste.   Smear the mixture on surfaces where you have seen lots of roaches.   The sugar and flour attract the roaches, they eat some of it.  They return to the nest, where they die and are eaten by their colleagues.   Soon, they are all dead.   I refresh  the paste applications once a year or so.    I have not seen a cockroach in my residence for over 4 years. 

Where can I buy "boric acid" ? 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The spray and the chemical can be bought at Homepro (or similar)... I believe he is suggesting 'Chaindrite' The assistants in there often have no idea and you wouldn't want to disturb them from being busy on their phones ... the spray is in the gardening section, the chemical may be there or as I found it, where all the paint is!

Chaindrite crawling bug spray is effective against cockroaches and centipedes but you must be careful with the application...after ye clean up the critter carcasses be sure to clean up the spray residue as well as it is oily like a lubricant..it was this neglect to clean the Chaindrite spray up offa my kitchen floor that led to my 'downfall' (literally) and the resulting triumph of the remaining takabs...

Archived