New provinces soon to be created in the Land of Smiles

Brunolem

From what I understand, via my wife, 7 new Thai provinces are about to be created, carved out from existing provinces considered too big (Korat, Ubon, Sisaket...).

It seems that my amphoe would be integrated in the new province of Kantharalak, something I am not looking forward to.

As a matter of fact, being "moved" from an existing province to a new one will probably translate into all kinds of administative troubles (chaos?) for those concerned, especially the foreigners.

Members who have more information regarding this issue, notably WHEN it is supposed to happen, are welcome to share it...

I remember talk about making Nang Rong (lower Buriram) into a province at least 10 years ago. From what I can remember it was supposedly going to be right along the Kampuchea border from Chong Chom and down into Sakeo province. I don't know if the forum archives go back that far. There was certainly a few threads on it.

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Lets cross the bridge once we get there ......... six new provincial governors, buildings, titles, assistants and hundreds of extra photocopy machines to keep the endless paper bureaucracy going.

Welcome to the new decade ???? 

Exactly, there's been one new province since I came here the first time in 1989. 

A few years back there was a story about this. I also remember speaking to some Thai friends in Nang Rong, Buriram about it.

The top 3 contenders for new province status at the time were; BunGan (already done), ChumPae (Khon Kaen) and Nang Rong (Buriram).

Nang Rong always gets held up because of the argument about Khao Phanom Rung. Under the new plans this will end up in Nang Rong Province. For obvious reasons, Buriram residents are up in arms about this and believe it should remain part of Buriram Province.

Archived